Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 01:12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was your replacement "better"  (Read 2403 times)
dobie

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: October 22, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »

Hi 

Just wondering if any ones ex left them for someone better looking , more successful etc ?

How did you deal with that if so ?
stacma04

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:37:34 PM »

Yup my Ex new fiancé is beautiful and is a realtor
dobie

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 06:10:47 PM »

I guess we both need to upgrade as well stacma04

Which in the personality department will be easy when it comes to my ex  Smiling (click to insert in post)
ReluctantSurvivor

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:11:08 PM »

Hi 

Just wondering if any ones ex left them for someone better looking , more successful etc ?

How did you deal with that if so ?

Well the sudden discard left my own self esteem pretty shattered for quite some time, so I felt lower than a dog.  My dBPDex fiance's initial replacement had a nicer car than me but otherwise was a scumbag.  My ex actually ended up his side girl until it all crashed and burned 4 months later.  I was still grieving and trying to reconcile like a fool for about 7 months.  My ex's scrambles to find any warm body (but me) continued to bruise my confidence.  I wondered why she was infatuated with an overweight alchoholic with a dead end job, what made him better than me?  Eventually I stopped taking it personally.  It slowly sunk in how disordered my dBPDex really is.  She went through at least 8 different men in the year after she discarded me, each one failing in short time.  I stopped worrying about her so much and focused more on me.  The less energy I spent pondering her the better I got.  It was a slow process.

It has been a little over a year since that woman walked out of my life.  In that time I have lost 60 lbs (I am in the best shape of my life), doubled my income and am less than a year from completing my education.  A very dear friend of mine is now my lovely, healthy, supportive girl friend.  The farther I get from my BPDex, the better my life gets.  All that soul crushing toxic behavior is in the past and I can spend all that free energy healing and improving myself.  At this point it makes no difference if my ex managed to hook the man of the year.  For one I know that I dodged a bullet, the next in line will either get out fast when the crazy manifests or suffer a slow vampiric death until they are discarded.  My life is great now.  A year ago was the lowest point of my life, I have never worked through so much pain.  I think I have walked away from it a better man, wiser and far more disciplined.  The fallout galvanized me to love myself first, work on me.  With this, good things have slowly fallen into place.  I can't say that I am 100% over the experience, I'm not sure it will ever be to that point but I am a stronger person than I was before I ever met that BPD girl.

Angry obsessive thoughts about another weaken your state of mind and well being. If you must have revenge, then take it by choosing to be happy and let them go forever.
― Gary Hopkins
dobie

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 06:15:48 PM »

Hey reluctant thanks for sharing I'm a year out but still have a ways to go

I hope in time I will be fully healed and better for the whole experience I'm on the right track and therapy is showing me how this really is all about me my issues my foo my pain my self esteem etc

Knowing my ex i suppose even if she got "man of the year" he too would die a slow vampiric death or would be as unhealthy as I was / am to have danced the dysfunction for so many years

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 06:30:57 PM »

Knowing my ex i suppose even if she got "man of the year" he too would die a slow vampiric death or would be as unhealthy as I was / am to have danced the dysfunction for so many years

Hi dobie,

Do you feel like you are measuring your self-worth with your replacement?

All that soul crushing toxic behavior is in the past and I can spend all that free energy healing and improving myself.  At this point it makes no difference if my ex managed to hook the man of the year. For one I know that I dodged a bullet, the next in line will either get out fast when the crazy manifests or suffer a slow vampiric death until they are discarded.  My life is great now.  A year ago was the lowest point of my life, I have never worked through so much pain.  I think I have walked away from it a better man, wiser and far more disciplined.  The fallout galvanized me to love myself first, work on me.  With this, good things have slowly fallen into place.  I can't say that I am 100% over the experience, I'm not sure it will ever be to that point but I am a stronger person than I was before I ever met that BPD girl.

That's wise ReluctantSurvivor  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) your value doesn't decrease based on somebody else, take your compassion and turn it inward with self compassion.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
balletomane
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 06:49:56 PM »

It feels like my replacement is better than me. She and I are very very similar in many ways - she works in a closely related field (she's a trainee play therapist and children's social worker), but considering that she's four years younger than I am, she's got much further in her career. She's into animal rights like me and she's vegan, but unlike me she can cook complicated and delicious dinners when a simple baked potato is all I can manage without wrecking the kitchen. She's very sociable and is able to put people at their ease instantly, whereas I come across as shy and awkward. She is fluent in the two languages I've been spending ages trying to learn, fluent enough to teach courses in them. And she is prettier than I am. One hurtful memory of my ex is him opening the door to me after I'd been visiting my parents in a different country for several weeks and letting me into the apartment with zero enthusiasm, no hug, no welcome. My replacement was standing in the kitchen (she is my ex's flatmate) and now I realise that he was probably emphasising how uninterested he was in me for her benefit, because they were a couple a month later. I felt hurt. The first thing he said to me, taking in my short haircut, was, "You look like you were attacked by a barber bear." I have to keep my hair short for disability-related reasons, as I don't have the motor coordination to brush it well. It's always been this length ever since I've known him, so I was puzzled by the comment as well as hurt - I'd had it trimmed, not altered drastically. My replacement has beautiful elbow-length shiny hair.

So when he sprung the news on me that they were together, I felt like utter crap. It was if he had upgraded to a better, more competent version of me. I felt discarded and unwanted, a broken old toy that got chucked out to make way for the shiny new one. Who would want me when they could have her instead?

I have to remember that my ex lied to her - he stayed in a pseudo-relationship with me right up until he got together with her, whilst telling her that we had been completely platonic for a year, and I have no reason to think that he had a change of heart and told her the truth. Their relationship is founded on that lie, and on how many others? She could be the most wonderful person in the world and it wouldn't change anything about him and how he behaves in relationships. One day she is very likely to find herself hurting as I'm hurting now. Her skills and qualities are no protection against the cruelty that he's capable of inflicting. It doesn't stop me from feeling inadequate, but it does remind that how I compare to her has no bearing on why my relationship with my ex failed: it was nothing to do with me not being 'good enough', it was to do with him being ill. I have also had to face the fact that he dates anyone who likes him and gives him affection. I've known him ever since he had his first girlfriend and he basically goes to anyone who's interested. I have always been uneasy about that, and back when we were just friends I tried to speak with him about it tactfully. Once he showed some awareness of it, burst into tears, and told me, "If it wasn't for you I'd just end up in anybody's bed." I avoided this aspect of his personality when we got together, because I wanted to believe that I was special to him, not just 'anybody'. But I was one of a line. And so is my replacement. The chief reason he got together with either of us is that we were willing to be with him, and given the typical BPD fear of abandonment and craving to be loved, I would guess this is pretty common for many sufferers.
Mr Hollande

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »

My replacement is a low level drug dealer who lives on a commune where he grows and sells cannabis. Although she admitted as much that he is indeed a textbook loser, she said he's a kind and gentle soul. Maybe he is.

A recent but still to be confirmed rumour claims that he's actually pretty abusive. He's made a living from conning older women in the past and he tried to expand his current business by growing cannabis in her yard behind her back. Most of his money is spent on drugs and junk food and he's trying to force her to take out life insurance and add him as recipient. He dislikes all her friends and tries to replace them with his own. The list goes on. Apparently she's terrified of him. If this is all true her life must be hell.

I have my limitations but I think I did better than him.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »

Mine is 18 years younger than me, 8 years younger than her. She went for what she thought was better at the time, and that he's better looking and in better shape probably helps, too. Now two years after she ended us, 4 months of marriage and co-habitation later, she's having regrets that maybe he isn't better than me.

Trying to nail down the motivations of what a pwBPD is attracted to (apart from the standard list that applies to anyone) is hard because their feelings change, their emotions are often uncontrollable, and many suffer from disturbed identities.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Mr Hollande

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »

Once he showed some awareness of it, burst into tears, and told me, "If it wasn't for you I'd just end up in anybody's bed."

Wow! How's that for one MASSIVE Red Flag? I bet you'd run a mile if you heard anyone say that to you again?

Your replacement may be better than you at languages and cooking but she will not fare any better against his disorder than you did. But by your own eloquent words you know that already.
MakingMyWay

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »

I don't know much about my replacement apart from how he looks, so I have no idea what type of personality he is. He was very creepy towards my uBPDex while we were still dating. She dyed her hair and he wanted to as well. They were organising trips together and I wasn't allowed to say anything because she accused me of not trusting her around guys. It seems that he is a complete opposite to me and has a lot of features which my uBPDex waif pretty much forbid me from having. This guy has facial hair which my ex found very unattractive, so I wasn't allowed to have any. This guy is pretty buff, which my ex insisted she didn't like. He also seems to be shorter than me, just a bit taller than my ex. Height was very important to her when we were dating.

So I don't really think he's any better or worse than me. I definitely don't dislike the guy, since I've never met him and I totally understand how he got caught up in this relationship, since I did too. If anything it just shows me how unstable my uBPDex was. She just moulds her likes to whichever guy gives her attention. She did it to me at the start of our relationship and she's doing it to this guy too. Good luck to them.
Michelle27

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »

I've seen a photo and FB profile (including gushing about the roses my ex sent her just weeks after I ended our marriage and about how in love they are... .).  For the 3rd time that I know of (I was #2), he chose a very overweight woman who likely has a lot of low self esteem issues.  Over the past  4 years I lost 140 lbs and gained my self confidence back, which led to other inner self improvement and finally, ending my marriage when I could no longer cope with the lies and hang onto the hope I did for most of a decade that things might get better.  I don't for one second think my replacement is better than I am.  She's obviously as "broken" as I was when I met him and fell for all the mirroring and how fast things moved just like I did.  All I feel is pity for her and her child as they will eventually go through what I did since he honestly doesn't get it that the problem is HIM.
dobie

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »

Hi dobie,

Do you feel like you are measuring your self-worth with your replacement?

All that soul crushing toxic behavior is in the past and I can spend all that free energy healing and improving myself.  At this point it makes no difference if my ex managed to hook the man of the year. For one I know that I dodged a bullet, the next in line will either get out fast when the crazy manifests or suffer a slow vampiric death until they are discarded.  My life is great now.  A year ago was the lowest point of my life, I have never worked through so much pain.  I think I have walked away from it a better man, wiser and far more disciplined.  The fallout galvanized me to love myself first, work on me.  With this, good things have slowly fallen into place.  I can't say that I am 100% over the experience, I'm not sure it will ever be to that point but I am a stronger person than I was before I ever met that BPD girl.

That's wise ReluctantSurvivor  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) your value doesn't decrease based on somebody else, take your compassion and turn it inward with self compassion.

Hi mutt ,

Yes it does the guy is younger , better looking it feels like she upgraded

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 10:51:27 PM »

I've seen a photo and FB profile (including gushing about the roses my ex sent her just weeks after I ended our marriage and about how in love they are... .). 

I closed my old FB account, for reasons unrelated to my Ex, though I had blocked her anyway.

I checked her profile last month with my new account (which is more my online album for the kids). She had a post that went something like,."despite my moodiness and being difficult, you still stand by me." This was to her H.

A month later, she's tellingg me she's severely depressed, and that she regrets leaving me.

That is mostly all about her, not him, nor me. It's hard to depersonalize, but to detach, it's good to realize this.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
ScotisGone74

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33:31 AM »

No matter who the next person is it leaves us with doubts about ourselves.    Just remove the exBPD for a second, what do you doubt about yourself right now?   What do you need to work on?    We all have something.   It can cut rather deep  , which is why it takes us a significant amount of time to process, deal with, work on ,and eventually heal.     

The entire time I was with the exBPD she gushed about how she liked how I was more experienced, knew more, etc since I was a few years older, so she runs off into the sunset with a much younger guy in the end.    Honestly whoever the next victim may be is no prize, at best they are just average folks like you and me, despite what Fb, instagram, or what any enablers may lead people to believe.   

griff24

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 01:53:12 AM »

ReluctantSurvivor: That was quite an inspiring response. I hope that a year from now I can write a similar story. As it stands my life is in tatters as a result of my BPDex.
balletomane
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 07:27:28 AM »

Once he showed some awareness of it, burst into tears, and told me, "If it wasn't for you I'd just end up in anybody's bed."

Wow! How's that for one MASSIVE Red Flag? I bet you'd run a mile if you heard anyone say that to you again?

Your replacement may be better than you at languages and cooking but she will not fare any better against his disorder than you did. But by your own eloquent words you know that already.

If I heard that again you wouldn't be able to see me for dust. At the time I wasn't frightened, just concerned for him and his mental health, because I believed that I could help him get away from his self-destructive behaviour and have a happier life. He told me that I was the only person who had ever made him feel safe and loved. (Again, red flag - I'm pretty sure my replacement has been told that, and that others before me had heard it as well.) I have that rescuer streak, and I suspect my replacement may be the same. I have often been struck by the similarities in our professions (we both work in healthcare) and it seems to me that we were drawn to him because at first he seems very fragile and wounded, in need of support and care, and he can make you feel as though you're the only person who can possibly help him. At first that is very gratifying.

One thing I have learned from this relationship is never to 'take work home with me', so to speak. I'm not saying I would never date someone with mental health problems - after all, 25% of the population experiences them at some point or other, and it doesn't automatically make you a bad partner. But I will never see myself as a partner's healer again. I hope if I ever fall into that thinking again it will flip the tripwire in my brain and I will be reminded of this horrible situation.

Perhaps because of this thread, last night I had a very vivid dream about my replacement, in which I told her the full story about my ex. I woke up feeling more exhausted than when I went to sleep, and it made me start the day on an unhappy note. I still do have this wish that I could tell her what happened. I want to feel that someone acknowledges and understands my pain, and as my ex will probably never do that (although I cling to the hope that he will), she seems the obvious candidate. I need to get past this need to feel that someone sees my pain and that I'm not in isolation with it.
lunchbox123

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »

My replacement seems better to her in the sense that he is submissive and I was not anymore, he is only just starting out and she could be dominant again. He's already walking on eggshells, I wonder how long he will take that. Our relationship had skewed into an unbalanced one where it felt like I was a parent and always disappointed by her actions.

In some ways she is now to him what I was to her. In the moments that she could talk and think clearly she said she felt inferior to me. She said it's because I have higher education, higher income, I'm more travelled and from a higher social background. God knows why but they were things causing her a lot of insecurity. We had met while travelling and what made us connect was shared love and vision for developing countries. Our life goal, and the thing that kept us going and keeps making me come back to her, is to move to one of these countries and live with a certain lifestyle as an expat. Now I'm not a money or status obsessed person but just to be frank, to do this you need money, lots and lots of money. You need to either have a well paying job or be an entrepreneur so you have a way to keep making money when you're there.

With this new guy it's the exact opposite, in all of those in my eyes insignificant qualities she's now the "better" one. In her moments of honesty she's told me she hates it, she misses being taken care of. She hates that she's smarter than him.

So to answer your question, is the replacement better (for her)? Absolutely not, without a doubt, 100% he's not... He's a nobody who doesn't stimulate her mind in the slightest while I'm a young inquisitive man with a ridiculously successful business. What about her dreams, can he give her a better life or help her achieve those dreams? Absolutely not, he's just an average Joe working in a restaurant who gives her attention and lets her walk all over him.

Now there's nothing wrong with being an average Joe. However, he is going to suck her into an average life and stop her from achieving her dreams. She acknowledges this and says it's very likely that the only way for her dreams to come true is to be with me. To you and me this would probably change the way we treat the person who holds a path to your dreams but unfortunately that's not enough to treat me with dignity and respect.

To be honest, this is why I am worried about her. She's just letting everything happen and I'm worried she's going to wake up one day and realise that I'm really gone. She's gonna see that I'm out in the world making those dreams come true with another woman.

greenmonkey

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 07:50:50 AM »

Mine I believe has had 2 replacements in a year, both are recycles.

Do I care if they were an upgrade, not in the slightest. They both lasted 2-3 months, the outcome was the same.

It does not matter if they are an upgrade or downgrade, the final result is the same, they will never work neither are they destined to work unless my uBPD ex addresses her serious mental illness she has has and starts to do something about herself.

I am happier now then I ever was with her, I am single, I have lost close to 4 stone, fitter, healthier, reasonable self esteem, and feeling good about me and where I am in my life. I have a stable home, very good friends, a good lifestyle - things that she will struggle to experience and maintain longterm.

I am more concerned about myself, my family and my welfare than thinking is the new one "better" than me

CharWood

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »

Which attempt? Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

The current one is an ex felon who is in debt and 11 years older. Used to take steroids so we know he has a Vienna sausage going on down there... .is about 5'9 or 5'10... .pock marks in his face from past cocaine and drug use... .works as a barback and lives with a roommate in a ___ty little apartment. Evicted from his last 3 apartments and is in debt. Has told my ex that he is a "changed man" even though there are photos in his phone from hanging out at peoples apartments partying with coke on the table. Cannot take my ex on a real date and treat her with respect... makes her pay for herself. My ex has been drinking a lot worse since she started hanging out with this scrub a week ago. Has flirted with losing her job, showing up late to work on two occasions and has been driving drunk... .so yeah.

Me... .college-educated, come from a good family, nice and respectful, took care of her well for 4 years, put up with her abuse and toxicity and tried to see the good in her, encouraged her to go back to school and believe in herself. I am very stable.

Was her replacement better? no. Are any of her attempts better? no. It is interesting that she is picking all of these unstable scrubs. I figured she would try to upgrade and throw it in my face.

I guess it makes it easier that she is picking losers... .less hurt. I actually find it humorous at times how far out these guys she picks are.
Learning Fast

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 08:16:14 AM »

After my ex and I informally parted back in June, I knew that she would fall for the first guy to smile at her, say "Hi" or open a door.  The  emotional void that was triggered by our parting resulted in her connecting with my replacement within days.

I'm not being egotistical nor trying to protect my ego, but she definitely slipped a couple of rungs down the ladder.  Her new guy is twelve years older than her, from out of state, already a grandfather (she is mid-40s), somewhat heavy and bald (Footnote---I'm not saying in any way, shape or form that these are not desirable personal qualities---they are just not traits that she would seek in a partner---especially out of state as she will never leave our area).  In fact, she would bemoan how she would struggle with becoming a grandmother when the time came (nonetheless she's one walk down the aisle from becoming a step-grandmother in her 40s!).  He is single, lives alone (kids are out on their own) and his one FB interest is "Women".  Ugh.  My one piece of advice to her would be to get a periodic STD test as she's not an exclusive with this fella.
maxen
Retired Staff

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »

my replacement is a different kettle of fish entirely. there's no comparing. i don't mean "i'm so much better," i mean literally, there are no points of comparison. it's not against that one that i'm measuring myself.

it may seem callous to say, but if our exes do have BPD then they are not experiencing relationships the way we do or we think we should. there's nothing to be jealous of in the other party. now, two years ago that piece of wisdom i just wrote would have been of only a little use to me. but in a while dobie you'll come to a similar place.

and good job, those of you who have lost weight! i could stand to lose a stone myself.

hurting300

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »

Define better? My ex dated a man who loved God and listen to her and worshiped the ground she walked on. He was weak and killed himself. Then she got me. And boy was I different. She told me lots of good things about him to make me jealous and it worked. But guess what? She still left him. See my point here? Does it matter how good your replacement is? The end result is the same my friend ... .

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
SummerStorm

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »

Well, the guy my former friend dated after she left her ex-boyfriend ended up cheating on her, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't better.  Actually, she tends to downgrade in all aspects, from income to looks.  Her ex-boyfriend has a good, stable job and is very attractive.  His replacement cheated on her.  Her newest boyfriend is still in college and dresses like he's 12. 

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
Invictus01

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »

Have no idea who she replaced me with. Well, I kinda sorta have an idea but not sure. Anyway, doesn't really matter. None of us could have done anything about it. They don't downgrade or upgrade. They find the next guy/girl who will put up with the drama. Then their next ex ends up on the bpdfamily.com wondering if he or she was replaced with a better model Smiling (click to insert in post)
dobie

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 05:02:15 AM »

Define better? My ex dated a man who loved God and listen to her and worshiped the ground she walked on. He was weak and killed himself. Then she got me. And boy was I different. She told me lots of good things about him to make me jealous and it worked. But guess what? She still left him. See my point here? Does it matter how good your replacement is? The end result is the same my friend ... .

My exfiance  is BPDlite and higher functioning the guy she is with is younger, a model, an athelete and a higher social class than me .

I'm not all that surpirsed she is attractive and successful .

I know its childish but I feel like she has "won"

I'm nice looking (no model) decent white collar job etc in my late 30s

skittles22

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 10:28:26 AM »

It's all very subjective. What is good looking? What is successful? My ex ran off to a guy that a lot of people seemed to think was attractive (judging by facebook), but me and my friends did not. She gave me a lot of compliments on my appearance and talents. But thinking objectively about it, it doesn't really matter in the end. Thinking whether we are "better" or "worse" than our replacement by appearance or status just keeps us stuck. The end result is always the same with a Borderline.

Hell.
SummerStorm

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »

Instead of focusing on better/worse, it's probably healthier to focus on things like boundaries, self-esteem, reaction to borderline rages, views on intimacy, etc.

If your replacement has a lack of boundaries, is immature, cares more about sex than actual intimacy, doesn't do anything about verbal/physical abuse, and feels the need to rescue the pwBPD, then there's a chance that the relationship will last longer.  If your replacement has boundaries, is mature, desires true intimacy, and won't put up with being abused, then it probably won't last long. 

Just remember.  Regardless of how long it lasts, it will more than likely end, often in a very bad way. 

Knowing what I know now, I'm glad that my former friend BPD decided not to be in a relationship with me, but I have often asked myself why.  What made her keep choosing her now ex-boyfriend over me?  Instead of focusing on whether he was better or worse, as I did during the middle of her push/pull, I've decided to look at the things I mentioned above.

We both had issues with boundaries, but I eventually set up boundaries, while he did not.  He smoked pot with her.  I told her that she would never smoke it around me because I can't risk losing my job.  He got drunk with her frequently.  I refused to go to bars with her and refused to have anything stronger than beer at my house. 

I have low self-esteem, so I was constantly searching for reassurance from her.  He does not have low self-esteem.  His focus was on her.  Mine was on both of us, equally. 

He admitted to me that he wasn't very open with her.  She told me that he never said the romantic things that I said to her.  He was fine with not having that intimacy.  I was not.  I craved that intimacy.  If I had to choose between having sex with her and just holding her and talking all night, I'd choose that second option 100% of the time. 

He's her age and still likes to party.  I am older than her and ready to settle down.  I triggered engulfment fears early on.  He did not.

When she was diagnosed with BPD, I researched it and wanted to talk to her about the treatment for it.  To this day, he still hasn't researched it and knows nothing about it.  I wanted to talk about serious things and get her help.  He wanted to act like nothing had happened.

He lasted two months longer than I did.  That's it.  And you know what really did it?  He stopped catering to her every whim, started wanting to have serious conversations, told her she needed to get help, and agreed to move across the country with her.  In the end, her engulfment fears won both times, and they will continue to win.  Yes, some BPD relationships will only last for a month or two for various other reasons (infidelity, lack of sexual chemistry, etc.), but generally speaking, the longer a relationship goes on, the more likely it is that it will be ended by BPD. 

So when will this end it goes on and on/Over and over and over again/Keep spinning around I know that it won't stop/Till I step down from this for good - Lifehouse "Sick Cycle Carousel"
parisian

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:41 AM »

Instead of focusing on better/worse, it's probably healthier to focus on things like boundaries, self-esteem, reaction to borderline rages, views on intimacy, etc.

If your replacement has a lack of boundaries, is immature, cares more about sex than actual intimacy, doesn't do anything about verbal/physical abuse, and feels the need to rescue the pwBPD, then there's a chance that the relationship will last longer.  If your replacement has boundaries, is mature, desires true intimacy, and won't put up with being abused, then it probably won't last long. 

This is so true.

Another thing to remember is that your replacement could be a model / the world's wealthiest person / a saint / world's smartest, most interesting person, and it still would not be enough for someone with BPD. That is why people on here talk about being spent at the end of these relationships because we all have given our absolute everything at the expense of ourselves and our own boundaries/health/wellbeing, and it still is not enough and never will be. They are an endless black hole of emotional nothing and our replacements, like us, will be unable to fill it with their looks/wealth/special skills/whatever else is different to what we do/are/have. We are not replaced because of those characteristics - we are replaced simply because they cannot be alone. Sometimes we compare ourselves to our replacement and feel better or worse but in both cases, it is just difference and matters little to the person with BPD.

It isn't about our replacement's values or characteristics or wealth or looks because someone with BPD cannot focus on others. All they can do is focus on their own pain and act out in ways in response to that. Our replacements are not selected for those characteristics (of course there has to be some attraction for some of them), but in the end it doesn't matter because the replacement still will not be enough.

As Summerstorm said, the factor that will impact on how long things last is how good your replacement's boundaries and self-esteem are.

I was 'lucky' to have two BPD r/ships - the first has a replacement that is younger, but I wouldn't say is an upgrade. The second has gone back to a drama-filled abusive ex because she cannot cope with stable, loving relatinships. Either way, neither of those will work out because neither of my exBPDs are in therapy. In fact my first ex has just recycled with my replacement after just 5 months. I'm indifferent to my replacements because they are welcome to having that in their lives. I would much rather live alone with peace and calm than be a carer for someone with BPD for the rest of my life.

dobie

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »

My ex was BPD lite so I don't know if she can sustain a lasting ltr we were together over 6 years I know she has a habit of using men in her past to meet her immediate needs even though she did not really want said person in a full sense .

She has a anxious attachment style with immature coping strategies , low emotional IQ ,

High maintaince, professional victim mentality, dysrythmic , weak sense of self  etc etc

I know now I could probably never have had  a real deep intimate connection with her as she is just not emotionally mature enough .

The replacement is a fuller version of me it seems on paper . As to if it will last who knows .

I know it should not bother me and we are over done she has moved on its been a year I guess I just feel like its unfair (yes I realise how childish i sound)  this year has been the worst of my life in so many ways and there she is jetting off to different countries , financially stable , good looking bf , new friends etc etc

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest