Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 19, 2024, 06:58:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Month 8: BPD d13 in residential treatment center  (Read 3002 times)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: widowed

we can all evolve into someone beautiful

« on: January 04, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »

Positive Peer Culture Therapy

we started the session with nali telling us that he wanted to talk about how the home visit went...

i told him we were very impressed with how well BPDd-13 handled being told "no" to some requests.  BPDd-13 said that she pushed the limits a few times but caught herself and backed off.  she is referring to asking again after being told no...in regards to riding on a very very cold day.

nali asked BPDd-13 how she felt about her ability to accept the answer "no"?  BPDd-13 replied "awesome.  i felt it made us come together as a family. then nali asked husband the same ... husband replied "proud that she was able to use reason and delay gratification."

nali asked if other family visiting noticed any difference in BPDd-13...i replied BPDd-13's stepdaughter (21)ter remarked on how happy BPDd-13 is and sees how hard she is trying and working at it.

BPDd-13 then told us that permission was not given for us to visit with her peer and her peer's family off campus...that she had taken peers' word for it that permission had been given. nali asked us how we felt about BPDd-13 being honest about this?  i replied that honesty is highly valued by our family because that is how trust is earned and if there is no trust there is no open communication...no real family.

nali asked BPDd-13 why honesty is important to her...she replied because it helps you and the other person.

nali asked me what I did to help facilitate a good home visit...i replied: I listened for what everyone needed and used validation to help keep open communication so that we could stay in the positive and not get stuck in the negative.  nali asked husband the same question...i didn't think it was possible for her to earn my trust so quickly but she did. I see that she has matured a great deal. nali:  awesome stuff!

BPDd-13 told nali that "i feel that my mom is a good mediator between me and my dad when ever we had issues and my dad was quick to pull out of his emotional mind."

nali asked BPDd-13:  "what helped you to be true to your positive peer culture?" BPDd-13:  i don't want to loose it.  if I mess up at home I will loose all that.

me:  i think that BPDd-13 so believes in Positive Peer Culture that it is who she is now rather than just something she practices.  it is a new way of being for her and I can see how important it is to her.  therefore it is important to us as well.  we want to support her in this new way of being by providing boundaries that hold her accountable to herself and our family.

nali:  what do  you think of that BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  i like it!

dh:  she is confident in the way she conducts herself and I think she realizes the old paths led to destruction and these new paths lead to success.

nali:  BPDd-13 what do you still need to work on?

BPDd-13:  listening to what they are trying to tell me.  when my dad was with me and I was deleting my facebook he got agitated and told me I was going too fast.  he said it in a harsh tone.  i could have listened.

nali:  is his tone about you or him?

BPDd-13:  him.

me:  what could she have done, being in the help seat, to work through this to mutual satisfaction?

BPDd-13:  i could have slowed down and shown him what I was doing.

dh:  she did tell me to take a deep breath at one point.

nali:  she is much more open and not shutting down.  what happened that changed things for you BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  i decided I wanted to change and I realized that my family will be there for me all the time.  i was afraid that they didn't love me and I realize now that they do.  once I realized that I had to change the way I treated them.  i could no longer justify my behavior.

nali:  so you recognize how our behavior affects others?

BPDd-13:  yeah

nali:  i hand it to you.  you are doing great things.  i believed you would do well on the home visit but I didn't expect you to do great things!  i need you to be a good leader with solid boundaries now.

dh:  i see we are becoming a closer family because we are not afraid to express our feelings and thoughts.

nali:  a lot of the past was based on fear of sharing those thoughts and feelings because of being judged.

me:  my anger in our "past life" was really a secondary emotion to fear.  the fear of things never getting better and having to live like this year after year, the fear that my daughter would never get any better and never know what it is like to be loved or truly give love and have a happy stable life for herself.

nali:  now that love is back at the forefront things will get better and better.  in the Bible the story of saul the persecutor of Christians comes to mind as a good example of how love changes things.  saul was changed because Christ confronted him with love...not beating him down but calling him to do great and mighty works.  BPDd-13 found the courage to change when she knew she was loved and now she is changing her world.  how do you feel dad about open communication?

dh:  it is the only way we really have to solve problems in the family and in the world.

nali:  keep being faithful family to honest and open communication.  keep your faith in each other working as life is not a destination but a journey worth taking.

we said our good byes

BPDd-13 is so very impressing with her "new way of being".

lbjnltx

BPD d13 in residential treatment center «

Month 1
Month 2
Month 3
Month 4
     Month 5
Month 6
Month 7
Month 8
     Month 9
Month 10

BPDd-13 Residential Treatment - keep believing in miracles
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Jemima

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »

Thank you for sharing these conversations ... it helps a lot to see how far you've come ... and also to see how you put the principles into action!
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »

it has been quite a journey...i have learned so much about what peace really is.

lbjnltx

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Married to DH since 1976

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »

BPDd-13 told nali that "i feel that my mom is a good mediator between me and my dad when ever we had issues and my dad was quick to pull out of his emotional mind."

nali asked BPDd-13:  "what helped you to be true to your positive peer culture?" BPDd-13:  I don't want to loose it.  if I mess up at home I will loose all that.

me:  I think that BPDd-13 so believes in Positive Peer Culture that it is who she is now rather than just something she practices.  it is a new way of being for her and I can see how important it is to her.  therefore it is important to us as well.  we want to support her in this new way of being by providing boundaries that hold her accountable to herself and our family.

nali:  what do  you think of that BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  I like it!

dh:  she is confident in the way she conducts herself and I think she realizes the old paths led to destruction and these new paths lead to success.

nali:  she is much more open and not shutting down.  what happened that changed things for you BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  I decided I wanted to change and I realized that my family will be there for me all the time.  I was afraid that they didn't love me and I realize now that they do.  once I realized that I had to change the way I treated them.  I could no longer justify my behavior.

nali:  so you recognize how our behavior affects others?

BPDd-13:  yeah

nali:  I hand it to you.  you are doing great things.  I believed you would do well on the home visit but I didn't expect you to do great things!  I need you to be a good leader with solid boundaries now.

dh:  I see we are becoming a closer family because we are not afraid to express our feelings and thoughts.

nali:  a lot of the past was based on fear of sharing those thoughts and feelings because of being judged.

me:  my anger in our "past life" was really a secondary emotion to fear.  the fear of things never getting better and having to live like this year after year, the fear that my daughter would never get any better and never know what it is like to be loved or truly give love and have a happy stable life for herself.

nali:  now that love is back at the forefront things will get better and better.  in the Bible the story of saul the persecutor of Christians comes to mind as a good example of how love changes things.  saul was changed because Christ confronted him with love...not beating him down but calling him to do great and mighty works.  BPDd-13 found the courage to change when she knew she was loved and now she is changing her world.  how do you feel dad about open communication?

dh:  it is the only way we really have to solve problems in the family and in the world.

nali:  keep being faithful family to honest and open communication.  keep your faith in each other working as life is not a destination but a journey worth taking.

lbj - there is indeed so much courage happening for every one of you in this family. I have been thinking all evening about you, husband and d14 and what the key parts are to these successes. I tried to pick out in this quote the parts that really aligned with what I have noticed along the way as you have shared your family story. Courage is the best word to describe this feeling I have. Love alone is not enough with our families. We have to live find the courage to persist, to learn the tools, skills, words for communicating in the same language for the love to get where it needs to go. And you, husband and d14 are really working it. This creates such an environment for your future success when d14 comes home to stay. I am so proud of all of you, if that is not overstepping somehow. Your story brings me such great joy. Thank you so much for sharing your life with us.

qcr  

The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. (Dom Helder)
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:51 AM »

thank you so much dear qcarol,

about 20 months ago I ran into a woman at the grocery store who knew my d when she was 9 and 10 years old.  when she asked me how my d was doing (at this time she is 12 and had just been dx/emerging BPD) I told her the horrible truth.  her advice to me was:

"just love her through it".  at the time I thought ... wow...she just doesn't get it...what kind of advice is that?  now...after taking this journey thus far...i can see clearly it was the best advice I got!

a while back...months ago...someone started a thread on one of the workshop boards (i think) that asked "What is your greatest fear?"

i posted "that my precious daughter would never know I love her"

i don't have to be afraid of that anymore.  I will continue to do my best to not be afraid to show her I love her.

since I ran out of new books to read...i recently picked up "BPD in Adolescents" by blaise aguirre to re-read.  one of the things that really stuck out to me is the phrase "adolescents with BPD need more than anything to feel understood".  I think my d does feel "understood" now and I can truly say I understand her.

one day qcarol I hope to get to meet you and have  you meet my precious d.

lbjnltx

peaceplease

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »

lbj,

Let me add my thanks again along with all of the other posters.  We all appreciate your sharing the journey of your dd through RTC.  You  are such an inspiration.  I am so happy that you  were able to get your dd this help during her adolescence.

My husband went along with me to my T appt., today.  She explained how my dd is stuck in her teens, emotionally.  It helped that she was able to explain BPD to my dh.  My husband told me that he only did it for me because he knows how much it means to me.  And, that meant a lot to me.  I know how he feels about going to talk to counselor. But, he was willing to do it for me to  learn how to interact with  my dd.  It really helps when the husband gets on board.

Thanks again.  May God bless you. Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

peaceplease
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »

Excerpt
It really helps when the husband gets on board.

this is a scary journey sometimes and having someone to hold your hand and travel it with you is immensely helpful...just as we hold each other's "hands" on this site.

i pray that the tools your husband learns he will practice with you and vice versa...it will bring you closer together and may also improve the relationship w/your dd.

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »

qcarol,

Excerpt
Courage is the best word to describe this feeling I have.

well...if that isn't a case of the donkey calling the pig long ears I don't know what is!

i can think of no one on this site that has shown as much courage as you qcarol...no one.

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »

got a big surprise last night...an email from the transitions unit at falcon ridge titled ...it's me, your daughter

it read "hi mom and dad I made pre-trans and got shoes privilege it's fun so yeah love ya bye"

we emailed back:  "wow that is great!  we are so very proud of how hard you have worked...the hardest work any of us will ever do is working on ourselves...you are MY HERO!

btw:  what does "shoes privilege" look like?  should I send your UT Flip flops?

look forward to talking to you tomorrow with lorneta!

big hugs and kisses

mom and dad"

her reply:"shoes" privilege is when I get to wear my tennis shoes every day whenever I want. it's like a thing of trust which is so awesome. I went to equine and i'm training a new horse. he's a colt named nugget. well pre-trans is fun. i'll tell you more about it tomorrow. love you.

i learned from her today that she is allowed to email and receive emails wednesday-saturday in the evenings.  she will be allowed to do activities, go to meetings and do service work while in pre trans and also when she is in the transitions unit permanently.

Family T session #26 1-6-11

BPDd-13 tells us more about Nuggett...a yearling she is getting to work with and that she was very surprised to make it into pre trans...the only thing holding her back is being behind in school/attitude about school and slight inconsistency in all areas of the program.  she said that her peers didn't think she would earn "shoes" privilege as it is the highest privilege one can earn...it signifies complete trust. she also added that some of the staff didn't believe she was going to be awarded "shoes" privilege either.

we discussed thinking errors and husband and I listed the ones that we struggle with.  BPDd-13 told us one of her main thinking errors is "emotional misreasoning" defined as:  the  individual draws an irrational and incorrect conclusion based on the way he feels at that moment. she said that this is what she did during the home visit when the issue of giving her iphone to her sister came up and she got emotional asking me "does daddy love sissy more than me?"  BPDd-13 went on to say "that was incorrect reasoning."

dh:  did you feel I loved sissy more?

BPDd-13:  yes at that time I  did.  i know that isn't true though.  i do see that dad treats me differently.  he is more serious with me and gets upset with me.

t:  why do you think he treats you differently than your sister?  could it be the age difference between you? (her sister is 22)

BPDd-13:  i know she is an adult but that doesn't mean he can't joke around with me like he does with her.

me:  daddy uses humor and joking around to interact with people and keep life fun.  he used to tell sissy that he found her at the circus feeding the elephants peanuts and decided to take her home with him.  when he told you that you cried.

t:  so your sensitivity would not allow you to interact with dad like your sister does.  are you less sensitive now so that you can be more playful in your interaction with dad?

BPDd-13:  yes

dh:  i love all my kids.  each of them is an individual and I treat them as such.  i tell each of them that they are my favorite.  BPDd-13, do you believe that.

BPDd-13:  yeah

t:  so if dad were to tell you "your eyes don't match" how would you react to that?

BPDd-13:  i would tell him he is going bald.

t:  what if he says something that upsets you?  what could you say to let him know that?  could you say something like "that's a little personal"?

BPDd-13:  yeah I can do that.

t:  so how will changing thinking errors help your family?

BPDd-13:  it will keep us open to each other and communicating.

t:  your parents have worked hard to make a better family.  they have been involved in the program with you.  the fact that they recognize they have thinking errors too and are working on them just like you are will help you all as a family move up the ladder of needs.  how do you feel about yourself?  how many thinking errors have you recognized and worked on correcting since you have been here?

BPDd-13:  about 20 million!

t:  one area that still needs work for you to make it into trans is your thinking errors in regards to school.  

BPDd-13:  i have always disliked school.  well there are some things I like about it.  i like to write poetry and do other creative assignments.  i just don't like math I guess because I am not good at it.

t:  if you change the way you think about math from "i hate math" to "math is a challenge to be conquered through practice" then you can change what "math" means to you.  you like challenges.  you have taken the first step towards this by being aware of your thoughts about math.  avoiding things we think of as unpleasant will only add to our stress.  these things rarely go away..each time you avoid your stress level will climb and this will keep you from climbing the ladder of the hierarchy of needs.  

me:  mixing something you enjoy in with an unpleasant task can sometimes help us get through it.  i don't enjoy ironing...it is so boring...so I will listen to the world news or some music I like and that helps me not focus on how bored I am and I can complete my task and feel better about myself.  

t:  yes, there is satisfaction in conquering a thinking error.  being creative in solutions is a plus.

me:  i have realized that before BPDd-13 went to falcon our family was stuck at the "safety needs" level of the pyramid.  because I did not believe I could protect BPDd-13 from herself, because I didn't feel secure in my own home, because our home was out of "order", and because BPDd-13 didn't respect the limits that we set we were all very unstable.  once she started to work on herself and I had security at home knowing I was safe and she was safe at falcon I very quickly moved up that ladder of needs to the top.

t:  it is amazing how quickly we can move to the top of the hierarchy once we have our safety needs met.  most families that we see here at falcon ridge are stuck on that safety needs level as well.

end of session.

thanks for reading and all the support you continue to give to me.

lbjnltx

peaceplease

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »

Pass the kleenex.     Tears of joy!   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Thank you, lbj.

peaceplease
peaceplease

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »

qcarol,

I second what lbj says about you having the most courage.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

peaceplease
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
pennifree

Relationship status: married, 26 years

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »

qcarol,

May I third that please?  I don't know anyone who has more courage  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

lbj,

It is wonderful to be on this journey with you, see the progress and in a way, share the reward.  Thank you so much for continuing to share with us and care with us.

pennifree
qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:02:30 AM »

me:  i have realized that before BPDd-13 went to falcon our family was stuck at the "safety needs" level of the pyramid.  because I did not believe I could protect BPDd-13 from herself, because I didn't feel secure in my own home, because our home was out of "order", and because BPDd-13 didn't respect the limits that we set we were all very unstable.  once she started to work on herself and I had security at home knowing I was safe and she was safe at falcon I very quickly moved up that ladder of needs to the top.

t:  it is amazing how quickly we can move to the top of the hierarchy once we have our safety needs met.  most families that we see here at falcon ridge are stuck on that safety needs level as well.

lbj - this is the nugget for me from this session. Bringing this level of needs into our conscious awareness - and how we get stuck here - explains so much about feeling no sanitiy in my home for so long. And also how not having my DD24 living in my home helped me begin the long painful journey toward safety for myself, husband and GD5. Now that I am less stuck we are able to include DD in making a fun visit AT OUR HOUSE! We did this two weeks ago, and are planning to try again this coming Sunday. It also helps to have her bf come as he is so good at giving her 'a look' that somehow reminds her to be nice to us.

Thank you again for sharing.

qcr Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    Smiling (click to insert in post)

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »

for anyone interested in maslow's heirarchy of needs:

SELF ACTUALIZATION

personal growth and fulfillment

ESTEEM NEEDS

achievement, status, responsibility, reputation

BELONGINGNESS AND LOVE NEEDS

family, affection, relationships, work group, etc

SAFETY NEEDS

protection, security, order, law, limits, stability, etc

BIOLOGICAL AND PHYSIOLOGICAL NEEDS

basic life needs-air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep, etc.

Each of us is motivated by needs. Our most basic needs are inborn, having evolved over tens of thousands of years.  Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs helps to explain how these needs motivate us all.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs states that we must satisfy each need in turn, starting with the first, which deals with the most obvious needs for survival itself.

Only when the lower order needs of physical and emotional well-being are satisfied are we concerned with the higher order needs of influence and personal development.

Conversely, if the things that satisfy our lower order needs are swept away, we are no longer concerned about the maintenance of our higher order needs.

1. BIOLOGICAL AND PHYSIOLOGICAL NEEDS- air, food, drink, shelter,

warmth, sex, sleep, et.

2.  SAFETY NEEDS- protection from elements, security, order, law,

stability, etc

3.  BELONGINGNESS AND LOVE NEEDS- work group, family, affection,

relationships, etc.

4.  ESTEEM NEEDS-self-esteem, achievement, mastery, independence,

status, dominance, prestige, managerial responsibility, etc.

5. SELF ACTUALIZATION NEEDS-realizing personal potential, self-

fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »

qcarol,

looking at your d's situation...and considering where her lower level needs are not being met...is it any wonder that she has not been able to move up the ladder?  this applies to all of us and our BPD children.

what's the solution?  meeting the lower level needs as much as possible..."how" becomes the question.

lbjnltx

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »

what's the solution?  meeting the lower level needs as much as possible..."how" becomes the question.

"how" without backrupting mom and dad. "how" with becoming an enmeshed, enabling parent.

"how" without compromising myself and my boudnaries. YIKES - this is hard work. Guess I'll just keep working it day by day.

Thanks, qcr Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »

dear qcarol,

your d's needs being met...whatever the level...is not solely your responsibility...

it occurred to me, when you were posting about your d's living situation, that her behavior changed a little bit for the better.  coincidence?  I don't know...it was just a thought that came to me as I read through the pyramid...my point is...when the basic safety needs are met then perhaps progress will begin to become more consistent.

i hope!

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »

we have enjoyed being able to get nightly emails from BPDd-13 and respond to them.  she was able to go to the nursing home and interact with the residence singing and dancing.  she got to go to a family fun center and ride go carts.  her time in "pre trans" is over and back to the regular unit now until she earns her place in the transitional unit.

i received her 5th progress report in the mail yesterday.  she continues to improve in some areas and hold her own in others.  she did lose ground in 2 areas related to the residential unit (interaction with the other girls). 

we are in the home stretch now...it is time to solidify and be consistent.  we will have family therapy on thursday.

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

Family Therapy Session #27  1-13-11

the session began with BPDd-13 telling me that she is working really hard to get caught up in math...the obstacle that is keeping her from going into the transitional unit.  she only has 3 more assignments to make up to be current...she said she is managing to get caught up without losing ground in other subjects...that she rode little doc yesterday and is doing well. 

t:  do you want to  tell mom what we talked about yesterday?

BPDd-13:  ok. well we talked about whether or not I really love you and dad.  lorneta told me this is something I struggle with because of my disorder.

t:  BPDd-13 struggles with identifying her emotions.  we worked through this by BPDd-13 giving her definition of what love is.  tell mom how you define love.

BPDd-13:  well...like...do I enjoy spending time with them, do I like being in their presence, do I like to talk to them, do I worry about them, do I want to do things for them, am I happy when I am with them?

t:  and were all of your requirements met?

BPDd-13:  yes.

me:  answering the question "what is love?" is a difficult thing...many people don't know the answer to that.  is it a feeling or an action?

BPDd-13:  I think it is both.

me:  the Bible tells us there are 3 kinds of love.  eros love which is romantic love like between a man and a woman, philadelphia love which is brotherly love like what we have for our friends and neighbors, and agape love which is how God loves us..unconditionally, and how we love you.

t:  moms and dads love their children unconditionally.  even when you were not behaving appropriately they still loved you.  you realize that now right?

BPDd-13:  yeah

t:  BPDd-13 identified what it was that caused her not to love you.

BPDd-13:  it was me not wanting to listen to  you.  my odd kicking in.

t:  it was your actions pushing mom and dad away, now she realizes that you were just doing your job as parents trying to protect her.  we have reviewed some of the corrected thinking errors.  BPDd-13 is more aware and willing to listen and work on things.  many times she comes into therapy sessions telling me what she needs to work on for that day.  when you have a problem or concern here who do you go to first?

BPDd-13:  peers

t:  after peers who do you talk to?

BPDd-13:  you or another staff member

t:  when you go home who will you go to first?

BPDd-13:  mom and dad

t:  if you go to peers do you think they will be able to help you?

BPDd-13:  probably not.  they won't have had Positive Peer Culture.

t:  they won't be able to give you good advice will they?

BPDd-13:  no.

t:  there may be times when mom and dad won't know how to help you.  that is when you will need to tell your therapist at home what you need help with and mom and dad can do the same.  ok?

BPDd-13:  ok.

t:  BPDd-13 still struggles with identifying emotions.  when she first came here she could only identify 2.  what were they?

BPDd-13:  happy and sad.. Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

t:  I gave her a facial expression chart that lists the emotions under each picture and asked her to list 3 descriptive words to describe each.

BPDd-13:  i'm working on how to better identify my emotions and other peoples.

t:  last week we discussed thinking errors.  has that been helpful to  you and your dh?

me: let me preface what I am about to say with a statement.  I have been working on myself for 3 years now and non of this comes naturally to me.  it has all been learned so I am not bragging when I say that I don't have many thinking errors any more.  that is not to say that I don't still engage in them occassionally.  having a list of them and being able to label them has helped me recognize when I am engaging in them and be able to correct myself.  I believe that being an active listener, especially in a relationship where the other person works through their thought processes out loud, has helped me to engage in less thinking errors because I am listening for the need that I can validate. being patient through this process and waiting for the "conclusion" can be difficult but not impossible.  my husband is more emotional than I am.  I am more cerebral...i know that is a stereo typical reversal but it is the truth.  I struggle more with being Wise Minded and not so much logic and reason. 

t:  so you need to be more in touch with your emotions.

me:  yes.  that is what I work on daily.  for every feeling there is a need...if I want to get my needs met I have to be in touch with my emotions.  once I do identify a need then I am pretty good at getting my needs met.

t:  when people have very different personalities it can be difficult to communicate effectively.  there is a good book you can read about personality types and how to best interact with that person.  it is called "the people code" by taylor hartman.

me:  I may give that a read.

t:  for next week lets go over chapter one of "i don't have to make everything all better". 

me:  sounds good.  I sent the lundbergs an email a few days ago about the impact that book has had on me and my life and how it is helping many people on my online support group.

t:  that's great.  I spoke with them a few months ago and they were so gracious and humble about the feedback I gave them on the book.  I am hoping they will come to falcon ridge soon.  we are still working on that. 

me:  the book has become a fixture on my support group site.  they have it on the recommended reading list, the blog page, and they have a biography of the lundbergs on the book review page.  I believe that from the information I got from reading their book and the biography that this is a ministry to them.

t:  you are right.  they told me in similar terms that it definitely is.

is there anything else for today?

me:  I have not heard back from anyone on whether or not to send the "nightmare before Christmas" blanket.

t:  that decision has been left up to me.  I would rather not have the skull and crossbones images on campus.  for me it carries a negative connotation. is that ok BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  yeah.  can I have my UT blanket?

t:  that would be fine.  that would be a more positive image.

me:  yes, unless  you think about their football record this past season.

everyone:  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

me:  don't bring that up to carol.

everyone:   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

t:  we won't!  besides, BPDd-13, you don't have that much longer to be here.

BPDd-13:  I DON'T?

t:  I don't mean you are going home in 2 weeks.  I mean that we are moving towards transitions unit and looking towards graduation possibly in march.

BPDd-13: REALLY?  can I tell my peers that I may graduate in march?

t:  no.  that is not what I said.  you may tell them that a march graduation is your goal.  it is not absolute.  I have had some incidences lately where students have misquoted me and it has caused some problems.  let's be clear and in agreement, ok?

BPDd-13:  ok.  so I can say that I have a goal date for march graduation.

t: yes.

me:  BPDd-13 said that it is possible that she gets another home visit soon. is that so?

BPDd-13:  yeah. in february.

t:  yes. that is a possibility.

me:  well, as much as we would like to have you come home for a visit next month I don't know if it will be .

BPDd-13:  I know I know dad already told me that finances are a problem.

me: right.  we don't want to jeopardize your time at falcon ridge by using the funds for a home visit.  at the same time if a home visit is important to your therapy program we may need to figure something out.

t:  we can talk about that together more tomorrow if you will call me.  I will also present this to the treatment team and get some feedback from them.

me:  ok.  I will call you tomorrow and wait to hear the results of the meeting.

t:  anything else?

me:  I miss you so much.  I got really sad when I could not get daily emails from you anymore.  I look at the electronic photo frame and think about all your good qualities each time a new picture comes up.  how pretty you are, how intelligent, how creative you are, how compassionate you can be, how talented you are in so many ways.

BPDd-13:  aww.

me:  I love you baby.  you have done really well.  I am so proud of you.  I don't know anyone that has worked as hard on themselves as you have.  you really are my hero.

BPDd-13:  thanks mommy.

t:  well we need to end the session for today. 

BPDd-13:  bye mom, love you.

me: love you too sweety.  take care of yourself.

end of session

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »

WOW - so much insight in this meeting. Have to think about it and return to comment on a couple of parts that really stuck with me (after supper and gd to bed)

qcr

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 08:34:33 PM »

t:  BPDd-13 identified what it was that caused her not to love you.

BPDd-13:  it was me not wanting to listen to  you.  my odd kicking in.

t:  it was your actions pushing mom and dad away, now she realizes that you were just doing your job as parents trying to protect her.

lbj - this so pervasivie with my DD24, and was an issue with her starting at a very young age - 30 months on. Even with the therapy I started when she was age 3, I never seemed to find a way to deal with this effectively. From where I am now, I believe it was ME with the 'odd kicking in' - my own resistance and willfulness.

gd calling me. will be back again later

qcr

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 11:26:48 PM »

t:  BPDd-13 identified what it was that caused her not to love you.

BPDd-13:  it was me not wanting to listen to  you.  my odd kicking in.

t:  it was your actions pushing mom and dad away, now she realizes that you were just doing your job as parents trying to protect her.

lbj - this so pervasivie with my DD24, and was an issue with her starting at a very young age - 30 months on. Even with the therapy I started when she was age 3, I never seemed to find a way to deal with this effectively. From where I am now, I believe it was ME with the 'odd kicking in' - my own resistance and willfulness.

gd calling me. will be back again later

qcr

Thinking on this some more - I stuggle to be a good listener with my little girl, now a big girl - to sit quiet with her and hear the need being expressed by the pushing away behaviors. I often pushed back - getting loud or demanding myself, not physical but in an emotional way. Or I turned away, not being able to 'stand it' - the pain of not knowing how to 'fix it', not knowing what she needed or wanted, or doing what I believed to be the best thing and having DD's behaviors get worse, or others not seem to understand what I was trying to express that she needed (as in school even with IEP spelled out). This child was so foreign to all my experiences with children around me growing up and as a young adult. And she was my only child so I had no comparison, only my experiences growing up in a big family as the oldest girl (7 kids), and lots of babysitting, lots of nieces and nephews. Wish I had then what I know now. But you know, this is the life I have and the path that I am on, so all I can do now is make the most of each day and the best of my relationship with DD going forward.

Hope it is OK to high-jack you post somewhat in my responses here, but this last session with your D14 has really opened up a lot for me tonight.

qcr  

PS. raising gd5 has also given me some insight and practice with new skills - such a gift. It has helped me to realize that I did the best I could with what was available when DD24 was younger - I read, got involved in her school, in ADHD advocacy (her initial dx) with NAMI with bipolar dx (my dx and her second dx), did lots of different therapies for both of us and meds.  - I really have been an active participant in my life and trying to understand how best to help DD make her way in her life with limited financial resources. GD5 is truly a gift for me - and I think there was a sense of this from the day DD told me she was going to keep this baby. I knew I would be very involved in this family situation - though did not anticipate being the primary parent long-term.

I am so thankful for you, lbj, and the other parents here that give me perspective and hope to keep going.

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »

t:  last week we discussed thinking errors.  has that been helpful to  you and your dh?

me: let me preface what I am about to say with a statement.  I have been working on myself for 3 years now and non of this comes naturally to me.  it has all been learned so I am not bragging when I say that I don't have many thinking errors any more.  that is not to say that I don't still engage in them occassionally.  having a list of them and being able to label them has helped me recognize when I am engaging in them and be able to correct myself.  I believe that being an active listener, especially in a relationship where the other person works through their thought processes out loud, has helped me to engage in less thinking errors because I am listening for the need that I can validate. being patient through this process and waiting for the "conclusion" can be difficult but not impossible.  my husband is more emotional than I am.  I am more cerebral...i know that is a stereo typical reversal but it is the truth.  I struggle more with being Wise Minded and not so much logic and reason. 

t:  so you need to be more in touch with your emotions.

me:  yes.  that is what I work on daily.  for every feeling there is a need...if I want to get my needs met I have to be in touch with my emotions.  once I do identify a need then I am pretty good at getting my needs met.

lbj - this is such a wonderful statement about the work you have done for yourself - your unending drive to create and fully utilize the resources you have needed to find the best possible path for your life, - and the best possible care for your D14 and the best possible support for your marriage. And you have such a strong faith. It is indeed so hard to "be patient throghout this process and wait for the "conclusion" --- by actively listening for the need that you can validate. The Lundberg's book, "I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better" really points out that to be able to 'listen, listen, listen and understand ' with someone else, you first have to be able to do this with yourself, "to have a stong belief in yourself and your own value system". You are a shining example of this principle. We all so appreciate your sharing this with us through your story on this journey with your d14 and dh. To me, this is the heart of the reason to 'take care of myself' - then I will be able to really listen to my family and be there to validate them, and set boudaries, and be able to love them without reservation.

qcr  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)    

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »

dear qcarol,

thank you for reading and responding with affirmation that our family's experience is in some way helpful to  you and in turn your family.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

i spoke with BPDd-13's therapist on friday to get a better understanding of what is to come in the future.

the therapist anticipates my d graduating during the march family weekend that is scheduled.  even if the treatment team does not recommend she graduate in march she will still come home with us at the end of the family weekend.  during her time at home, if she does really well, she will be invited back to the june family weekend and will graduate then. the dilemma...dh says "no way"  we aren't going to spend all that money to fly back up there in june.  she needs to graduate in march and come home and that will be the end of it.   ;p  

it is very very important for BPDd-13 to have the graduation experience and all that it denotes.  when I tried to explain to husband that WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THIS it didn't sit well with him.  I told him that I believe she will be ready to graduate in march and we won't have to worry about it.  that just leaves the "what if"... I will add this to my  prayer requests and leave it alone...it will all work out the way it is supposed to...that I am sure of.

also I asked the therapist about my BPDd-13's psychotic features...is she still experiencing them...t said "no.  not in a good while"... since the increase in the abilify.  I am hoping that my d will be able to get off of some, all, or decrease meds in the future with the help of neurofeedback therapy...

the therapist asked the neurofeedback therapist if he would be willing to do a diagnostic test on BPDd-13...he said yes...t told me she would have him call me...we will see how that turns out as I am really having to work with my husband to get him to ok spending some extra $...

the clinical director has offered to decrees fees for BPDd-13 until she leaves the program...very thankful for that

we have Positive Peer Culture tomorrow and family therapist on thursday.

take good care all of you!

lbjnltx

qcarolr
Distinguished Member

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

lbj - your faith is your sanity  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  Sounds like things are moving in a good direction. There is time before March for husband to find his own way to what is best for D14.

I'm on computer at work - my laptop died and is in the hands of our IT guy for now. Hope to check back tomorrow before I leave work.

qcr 

whiletheseasonspass

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »

it is very very important for BPDd-13 to have the graduation experience and all that it denotes.  when I tried to explain to husband that WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THIS it didn't sit well with him.  I told him that I believe she will be ready to graduate in march and we won't have to worry about it.  that just leaves the "what if"... I will add this to my  prayer requests and leave it alone...it will all work out the way it is supposed to...that I am sure of.

Dear lbj,

Your faith never ceases to amaze me and as I have said before- the progress you all have made- is astounding- your dd, you, and your dh.  I do believe strongly as you say- that it will work out "the way it is supposed to". Not to mention that you are so very wise and have learned so much about communication- that if it ever got to the point of "what if" I can see you being able to "reach" your husband- with the communication tools that you have acquired and thus have helped others with so frequently on this board- not to suggest it will come to that - the "what if".  Just that taking everything into account and what you have been able to get past- I have confidence in you and your skills and your thought processes and your faith that yes- it will all work out as it is supposed to. 

wtsp

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »

dear wtsp,

thank  you so much for the vote of confidence...i will do my best to stay in my Wise Mind, be validating towards my husband as he "works through" these decisions ... most likely out loud  ;p  and at the same time I have told him "if I have to go and get a job to pay for it (flights, neurofeedback therapy, individual therapy) then I have no problem with that.  with that choice will come consequence, intended and no doubt unintended that will have an affect on our business and our relationship."

i told my husband 2 years ago that as a mom "i would sell everything I have to help our daughter".  this really disturbed him...his reply "i wouldn't". he still has a difficult time with there being no guarantees from the residential treatment center that our d will come home "cured".  I understand his position...he is nearing retirement age and has worked hard all of his life for what he has...i am younger by 15 years but I have worked hard all my life too...i could live in a 2 bedroom apt. and be content if my d was well better than living on this big ranch managing our investment properties if she was not well...it is a state of mind I suppose.  once more I say I must be able to look at myself in the mirror and know I did everything I could...else I wouldn't be able to live with myself in peace.

with all the hardship you have endured and are still dealing with concerning your d I know you understand fully what I am saying here.

lbjnltx

lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »

1-18-11

Positive Peer Culture Therapy

dh not available for this session due to work

1.  rather than demand obedience, Positive Peer Culture demands_____

BPDd-13:  greatness

nale:  what is greatness?

BPDd-13:  our values of care and concern for self and others

nale:  right.  greatness is driven by our values.  give me an example of

how your values are used here at falcon ridge.

BPDd-13: today when a peer gave me attitude I asked her not to be that

way because it only hurts her.

nale:  ok so how will this work at home?

BPDd-13:  if we are caring and concerned for each other we will be

honest and open in our communication.

nale:  mom how does that sound?

me:  it sounds like the basis of care and concern.  being honest and

open will allow us all to be the best we can be and keep us in the

positive and moving forward.

nale:  in the past, at home, how was communication?

me:  there really wasn't any.  when we were angry we were closed off

to listening for information, feelings and needs.  we get wrapped

up in our own thoughts and feelings and it becomes all about us

and not the care and concern for the other person.  when we are

practicing good listening by being patient and looking for the other

persons' needs and validating we are keeping our focus and our

concern on them and not ourselves.

nale:  wonderful

2. what is self government?

me:  in the general population, concerning youth, it is usually a sham.

adults do not truly give up their power and give only innocuous

decision making power to young people.  in Positive Peer Culture adults assign to

young people responsibility and teach them how to fulfill that

responsibility.

BPDd-13:  self government is making good decisions without being told.

nale:  when young people are empowered to make decisions they have

to understand that they have the ability to handle the responsibility

3. youth must come to reject all behavior that in any way hurts self or

others.  what must they replace this hurting behavior with?

BPDd-13:  helping behaviors

me:  behavior that shows care and concern

nale: what helpful behaviors did you use at home BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  honest communication of my feelings and I trusted my parents

to do what was right for me.

nale: mom what helpful behaviors did you use during the home visit?

me:  I used good listening skills and was patient.  I validated and was

honest without judgement to provide a safe place for BPDd-13 to be

open and honest.

nale:  safety is a key component.  BPDd-13, what does safety provide for

you?

BPDd-13:  well, it lowers my anxiety and helps me stay in the here and

now so that my emotions don't get out of control.

4. what type of climate can Positive Peer Culture only exist in?

me:  a climate of mutual concern for self and others.  I think it must be

a climate of non judgement.  feelings are not right or wrong good or

bad they just are and each of us have a right to them without being

labeled.

nale:  BPDd-13 what do you think of what mom said?

BPDd-13:  I think that is what we all strive towards.  none of us are able

to use care and concern all the time but we strive to.  I like what my

mom said.

nale:  what causes us to not have care and concern?mom

me:  having a victim mentality and focusing on our own feelings.

BPDd-13:  I try to remember and recognize that they are having their own

problems and focus on myself so that I don't personalize.

nale:  it can be hard to not personalize.  what causes you to do that?

BPDd-13:  being close to a person.  really caring a lot about them.

nale:  can you be hurt without your permission?

BPDd-13: no

nale:  what do you think about what BPDd-13 said.

me: I agree with her.  it is very difficult to not react emotionally to an

emotionally charged person especially when you love them dearly.

for me, staying in touch with my compassion really helps me to put

the focus on them without owning their feelings or behaviors.

nale:  so setting some personal boundaries for what we will own is

a way to not become enmeshed.

5. what do young males consider positive, helping behavior as?

BPDd-13:  what makes them happy.

nale:  mom, what did you put for your answer?

me:  I wrote "feminine", it is something that girls do.

nale:  some men consider it to be weak to be concerned, caring, and

helpful. ok lets move onto values or rules.

6. do you have set rules in Positive Peer Culture?  is so, wjhy? if not, why?

BPDd-13:  I didn't know how to answer this question really.

nale: mom, did you have an answer?

me:  I wrote down; no.  young people need to develop wisdom and

the ability to make independent judgements based on their values.

they can make better judgements if they ask themselves 'is this

helping or hurting".

nale:  the rules that are there fluctuate depending on the individual

circumstance.

BPDd-13: oh, so they are more like guidelines.

nale: yes.  if our values are strong they are based on helping not on

hurting.

7.  does Positive Peer Culture teach you to make sound decisions even in the absence of

specific guidelines? why or why not?

BPDd-13: yes. we are given choices and those choices will have natural

consequences.

me:  I wrote yes too.  sometimes there are no guidelines to use when

a decision must be made.  in the absence of guidelines our values

of being helpful and not hurtful will guide us to the right decision.

sometimes there is no clear right or wrong...sometimes it is a

judgement call.  like the story of robin hood...it is ambiguous.

stealing from the rich is wrong...giving to the poor is good.  how

do you reach a decision based on the information you have?

nale:  how would you reach a decision BPDd-13?

BPDd-13:  I would ask myself how I could give to the poor without taking

from the rich.

nale: awesome.  mom what do you think about her answer?

me:  it meets all the criteria for helping and not hurting.  she would

rather give a little honestly than give a great deal dishonestly.

nale: ok, biblical application here.  do you know the story of the

widow's might?

BPDd-13:  i'm not sure.  if you start to tell it I will remember.

nale:  ok. so the rich people in the temple were all bragging about how

much they gave to the temple and comparing themselves to each-

other.  then in comes the very poor widow who had only a few

coins. she gave all that she had.  her gift was much more valuable

than all the donations from the rich because she truly understood

what it was all about.

8. what does "caring" mean?

me:  I want what is best for you.

BPDd-13: I have your best interest at heart.

nale:  BPDd-13, do you understand why you are here at falcon ridge?

BPDd-13:  yes. because of the poor decisions I was making and I had no

boundaries.

nale: that is a behavior you used to have.  why did  your parents bring

you here?  was it because they have a great deal of love for you?

BPDd-13: yeah

nale: do you understand how much your family loves you and how do

you see your family differently than before.

BPDd-13:  yeah.

nale: what does that look like?

BPDd-13:  well we talked about this in family therapy...when I was

wondering if I loved my family as much as I should. lorneta told

me that my feelings and beliefs about my family met all the

requirements of how I define love.

nale:  how do you feel hearing that from BPDd-13?

me:  it feels really awesome.  that she can contemplate and work

through such a philosophical question that many mature adults

never even try to shows her deep thinking and honest reflection.

her level of maturity is amazing.

nale:  how does that feel for you BPDd-13 to hear mom's answer?

BPDd-13:  it feels good to be validated.  I know I won't always get that

every time from everyone so I am getting good at validating   

myself.

nale:  so are  you getting pretty good at self validation?

BPDd-13: i'm working on it.

read each quote and write whether it is helping or hurting.  if the quote

is hurting, rewrite the comment to be helping.

9.  "you're really smart; I bet you could finish all your work today."

BPDd-13:  that is helping

me:  I agree.  I wrote that it is encouraging and positive/

10. "why do you act so dumb?"

BPDd-13: that is hurting.  I wrote "i think you can do better"

nale: what did you write mom?

me: I rewrote the question "why are you reluctant to show how

intelligent you are?"

nale:  in our haste to respond sometimes our statements come out

how BPDd-13?

BPDd-13: jumbled up and mean.

nale:  why is that you think mom?

me:  because we don't listen for the need or feeling and we don't stop

and think first.

BPDd-13:  yeah. we get caught up in our own ideas and emotions.

me: that is when it becomes about us and not them.  no good

communication can take place at that point.

BPDd-13:  I used to work off of my emotions.  when I was angry I would

be rude and even threaten my mom.  when I was happy I would be

nice.

nale:  what have you learned to control your emotions?

BPDd-13:  sometimes it is ok ... well, really all the time it is ok to be

angry if that is your true emotion.  how you handle it is what is

important.  it cannot be hurtful to others.  it is important to be

honest about your emotions.

me: when someone is expressing their emotions honestly and not

being hurtful it is much easier to validate and be compassionate.

then we can be patient and give them their space if they ask for it.

if they are not being honest and they are being hurtful and will not

listen to validation it is important to take care of and protect

yourself.  taking care of self is paramount to helping someone else.

if you don't take care of self you can't take care of anyone else.

nale:  you hit the nail right on the head there!  BPDd-13 do you agree

with what mom said?

BPDd-13: yes.

nale:  good. ok next time we will do chapters 4 and 5. anything else

today mom?

me: I would like BPDd-13 to know that I have started praying for the Lord

to send to us the adult leadership we will need to start the Positive Peer Culture

program here at home.  I would ask you to pray for that as well

nale and BPDd-13.

BPDd-13:  thank you so much mom. I will pray too.

nale: I will as well and will be able to help you out in some ways as

well.

end of session.

thanks for reading...i hope it helps you and in turn  your family in some small way.  

lbjnltx

oglobaith

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)     Thank you so much for taking the time to type all these sessions in for us - it's so helpful in my situation with dd25.  And I can identify with your situation with husband also - my husband really wants to help and to see our daughter well too, but somehow they seem to be a bit less able to give all don't they?  I suppose it's the way a man looks at the practicalities  ?

Thanks for your example - your commitment is inspiring.
lbjnltx
Retired Staff

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »

thanks for reading oglobaith!

Smiling (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest