Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:45:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: Which schema's did you test highest for?
Vulnerable Child - 58 (13.5%)
Angry child   - 20 (4.7%)
Enraged Child   - 8 (1.9%)
Impulsive Child - 8 (1.9%)
Undisciplined Child - 17 (4%)
Happy Child - 60 (14%)
Compliant Surrender - 49 (11.4%)
Detached Protector   - 17 (4%)
Detached Self-Soother - 23 (5.4%)
Self-Aggrandiser - 10 (2.3%)
Bully and Attack           - 1 (0.2%)
Punitive Parent   - 13 (3%)
Demanding Parent - 58 (13.5%)
Healthy Adult   - 87 (20.3%)
Total Voters: 131

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SELF ASSESSMENT | Schema Inventory  (Read 13587 times)
BPDFamily
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: May 31, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »

The test contains 135 questions. By clicking here you will download
an excel spreadsheet from  bpdfamily's secure server. Please copy
your score
into this thread!

INNATE CHILD MODES
1.  Vulnerable Child:  feels lonely, isolated, sad, misunderstood, unsupported, defective, deprived, overwhelmed, incompetent, doubts self, needy, helpless, hopeless, frightened, anxious, worried, victimized, worthless, unloved, unlovable, lost, directionless, fragile, weak, defeated, oppressed, powerless, left out, excluded, pessimistic

2.  Angry Child : feels intensely angry, enraged, infuriated, frustrated, impatient because the core emotional (or physical) needs of the vulnerable child are not being met

3.  Impulsive or Undisciplined Child : acts on non-core desires or impulses in a selfish or uncontrolled manner to get his or her own way and often has difficulty delaying short-term gratification; often feels intensely angry, enraged, infuriated, frustrated, impatient when these non-core desires or impulses cannot be met, may appear “spoiled”

4.  Happy / Contented Child : feels loved, contented, connected, satisfied, fulfilled, protected, accepted, praised, worthwhile, nurtured, guided, understood, validated, self-confident, competent, appropriately autonomous or self-reliant, safe, resilient, strong, in control, adaptable, included, optimistic, spontaneous

MALADAPTIVE COPING MODES

5.  Compliant Surrenderer : acts in a passive, subservient, submissive, approval-seeking, or self-deprecating way around others out of fear of conflict or rejection; tolerates abuse and/or bad treatment; does not express healthy needs or desires to others; selects people or engages in other behavior that directly maintains the self-defeating schema-driven pattern

6.  Detached Protector : cuts off needs and feelings; detaches emotionally from people and rejects their help; feels withdrawn, spacey, distracted, disconnected, depersonalized, empty or bored; pursues distracting,  self-soothing,  or self-stimulating activities in a compulsive way or to excess; may adopt a cynical, aloof  or pessimistic stance to avoid investing in people or activities

7.  Overcompensator : feels and behaves in an inordinately grandiose, aggressive, dominant, competitive, arrogant, haughty, condescending, devaluing, overcontrolled, controlling, rebellious, manipulative, exploitative, attention-seeking, or status-seeking way. These feelings or behaviors must originally have developed to compensate for or gratify unmet core needs

MALADAPTIVE PARENT MODES

8.  Punitive Parent : feels that oneself or others deserves punishment or blame and often acts on these feelings by being blaming, punishing, or abusive towards self (e.g., self-mutilation) or others.  This mode refers to the style with which rules are enforced rather than the nature of the rules.

9.  Demanding / Critical Parent :  feels that the “right” way to be is to be perfect or achieve at a very high level, to keep everything in order, to strive for high status, to be humble, to put others needs before one's own or to be efficient or avoid wasting time; or the person feels that it is wrong to express feelings or to act spontaneously.  This mode refers to the nature of the internalized high standards and strict rules, rather than the style with which these rules are enforced; these rules are not compensatory in their function.

HEALTHY ADULT MODE

10.  Healthy Adult :  nurtures, validates and affirms the vulnerable child mode; sets limits for the angry and impulsive child modes; promotes and supports the healthy child mode; combats and eventually replaces the maladaptive coping modes; neutralizes or moderates the maladaptive parent modes.  This mode also performs appropriate adult functions such as working, parenting, taking responsibility, and committing; pursues pleasurable adult activities such as sex; intellectual, esthetic, and cultural  interests; health maintenance; and athletic activities.

See list of all self-assessment surveys
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:44:19 PM by Harri » Logged

Want2know
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »

Very interesting... . I just took the test.  Above (first post) is a link where you can take it, and have the results automatically calculated and formatted as a messageboard table like this:

Mode
----------------------------------
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--

Tendency refers to the schema frameworks by which I may function.
Average is the mean of the numerical answers that I provided for each schema mode (rated from 1-6).
4+ is the number of the answers of 4 or higher that I provided for each schema mode.
"Above norm" compared to general population is greater than 1 standard deviation from the mean (average) -
in other words, statistically higher than the general population.

On a personal note, I can see where the Demanding Parent aspect comes from within myself.  I do tend to feel this way, at times, and feel that it probably stems from how my parents were, expecting the best and having high standards, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, sometimes.  It's when it create stress or gets in the way of normal functioning that it can be a hindrance.

“The path to heaven doesn't lie down in flat miles. It's in the imagination with which you perceive this world, and the gestures with which you honor it." ~ Mary Oliver
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:24:29 PM »

I'm curious about the schema stuff, and nerdy enough to want to analyze my data  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
It's so fascinating to me that you recreated such a mirror image of your childhood through your r/s with your BPD. The same thing happened to me. I managed to pick someone who was an exact blend of my brother/father, all rolled into one. Right down to fear of coming home, trying desperately to have things to do outside the home so I didn't have to be around him. It's uncanny how much I recreated the same psychological and emotional conditions of my childhood, despite picking someone who seemed so different.

Breathe.
nolisan

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

I did a schema test and found the results interesting. One of the big gifts of my 1 year with the BPDex was to get me to look at my adult child stuff (and codependency - they go together).

I did the test twice - on of who I was before and am getting back to and second who I was in the relationship. The "nobrainer": it was a very bad/unhealthy place for me to be!

For those of you that are statistically inclined, I took my scores, then subtracted the mean of "healthy" and then divided it by the standard deviation.  I didn't use the auto-calculator.

Simply put any score greater than 1 or less than -1 is an area that I need to look at.

Schema Mode
-------------------------------- 
Vulnerable Child         
Angry child       
Enraged Child       
Impulsive Child       
Undisciplined Child   
Happy Child   
Compliant Surrender 
Detached Protector   
Detached Self-Soother   
Self-Aggrandiser
Bully and Attack         
Punitive Parent       
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Me
-------
In R/S
---------

My core "me" child traits of interest are vulnerable/lonely  and angry child. That makes sense.
I was an only child whose dad left for work on the road each Monday and my mom used to threaten to leave me as punishment or control. The result is a strong sensitivity to abandonment feelings.
My mom was a perfectionist and very concerned with image - she needed me to be a perfect child. I tried to be and feel I suppressed natural urges to be "less than perfect". I was a very "grown up" child and missed playing as a kid. (I still have trouble playing). While I truly believe both my parents really loved me they didn't know how to express it to me (stiff Scottish/Irish background). I feel that fed an unexpressed anger - somewhere inside me I knew I wasn't getting something I needed. I recall resenting that I was an only child.
These missings were extremely amplified in the r/s. The ex would "split" and abandon me every week or two. That threw me into an emotional pit. I see now that it wasn't so much her behavior but the childhood memories it triggered. I thought she was deliberately trying to be mean to me - she knew I had abandonment issues. Not a healthy dynamic. My inner child was not a happy camper!
As an adult I have a strong punitive/critical parent. That comes from me trying to be perfect as a child and not getting (or deserving) the love I needed. Again that was amplified in the r/s. She had become my mother (very similar traits although the ex's were far more extreme). I see now that is what attracted me to her.
Another point of interest is my Compliant Surrender score especially in the r/s. I abandoned myself to comply with and keep the ex's "love". Also the Detached Self-Soother   reminds me that I developed hobbies as a kid to sooth myself and then addictions as an adult.
This has been really insightful work. I discussed this with my T last day and we are going to work on it. I am also working ACA to develop my loving parent and our connection to a loving higher power. The HP's love is unconditional and will never abandon us. As a loving parent I can reassure my wonderful wounded little guy. He's a great kid and deserves all the love he needs.
Any comments?
nolisan

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »

Many thanks to you at BPD Family for taking the time to turn this into a easy to use tool. It is cool when people take something and make some better of it. I thank the source on the BPD Family board where I found it - I forget who posted it but thanks.
Personally I found this schema test very illuminating. It quickly shows me my "core issues". I am working ACoA and CoDA but am more of a "numbers guy" than writing.
I see now that my vulnerabilities were exactly that attracted me to the ex. She had many of my mom's traits but much more exaggerated - our interaction totally set my wounds on fire!
And that's a good thing - they came to the surface. Now I see them and I can work on them. A great Benefit of the r/s. Thank you dear ex - I couldn't have done this without you.
OMG! Did I just say thanks. I must be getting better!
VeryFree
Formerly known as 'VeryScared' and 'ABitAnnoyed'

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »

I'm trying to interpret my score:
Above average on the vulnerable and angry child-scheme. I understand that one. Looking back I was a lonely kid: had loving parents, which trusted me enormously. Because of that I got used to take on responsibilities and to solve my own problems. Looking back too much I think, because I never really got pointed the right direction, never really was validated (no complaining meant things were good), never was stimulated (wasn't necessary).
From that the above norm compliant surrender, detached protector and self-soother seem logical. Never ask another one for help, try to help yourself, don't bother another, meanwhile trying to have a high standard (demanding parent).
Probably a lot of issues, but the high score on the healthy adult-scheme keeps things in control.
Am I seeing this correctly?

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--

Average is the mean of the numerical answers that I provided for each schema mode (rated from 1-6).
4+ is the number of the answers of 4 or higher that I provided for each schema mode.
"Above norm" is greater than 1 standard deviation from the mean (average) - stronger tendencies than the general population.

livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm

"Above norm" is greater than 1 standard deviation from the mean (average) - stronger tendencies than the general population.

Wow. This made me so emotional... . and it explains something I've been going through with the codependent stuff. I've been having an inner argument about being codependent, because I know I must be if I married an alcoholic pwBPD and stayed for 10 years. But sometimes I wondered if codependence is more like a spiritual thing that you work through, rather than it being something you are. I never thought I'd ever take a test that told me I was healthy. To have gone through this awful marriage and awful divorce, and to finally be in a good place, it just feels so emotional. I guess having a test say it just feels so validating  Smiling (click to insert in post)
A test shouldn't make me feel confident about the new r/s I'm in, but in a weird way, it does. Maybe it's really time for me to trust myself. 

Breathe.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 04:23:09 PM »

I don't understand how this connects to the Lonely Child schema, though. Does anyone know? It isn't even an option here. I often see it mentioned on bpdfamily.com boards, and thought it was part of Jeffrey Young's work on Schema Therapy.

Breathe.
nolisan

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »

Lonely and vulnerable are the same thing
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »

I don't understand how this connects to the Lonely Child schema, though. Does anyone know? It isn't even an option here. I often see it mentioned on bpdfamily.com boards, and thought it was part of Jeffrey Young's work on Schema Therapy.

We all have a lot to learn and it's great that we have members will to take this on.
We had one member do a very good job of characterizing the Lonely Child mode - and that has opened a lot of eyes - a good thing - it's the reason that many are interested in Schema.   Smiling (click to insert in post)
The downside, however, is that this one packet of data came without context - specifically that a person often operates between several modes.  For example, Lonely Child is most often discussed in terms of a triad of modes - Lonely Child, Self Aggrandizer, and Detached Self Soother - three modes a person bounces between to cope with life.  Understanding this dynamic is a first step to unraveling it.
As a aside, technically, there are three "Vulnerable Child" subsets:
Lonely Child Feels like a lonely child that is valued only insofaras (s)he can aggrandise his/her parents. Because the most important emotional needs of the child have generally not been met, the patient usually feels empty, alone, socially unacceptable, undeserving of love, unloved and unlovable.
Abandoned and Abused Child Feels the enormous emotional pain and fear of abandonment, which has a direct link with the abuse history. Has the affect of a lost child: sad, frightened, vulnerable, defenceless, hopeless, needy, victimised, worthless and lost. Patients appear fragile and childlike. They feel helpless and utterly alone and are obsessed with finding a parent figure who will take care of them. Humiliated/Inferior Child. A subtype of the Abandoned and Abused Child mode, in which patients experience humiliation and inferiority related to childhood experiences within and outside the family.
Dependent Child Feels incapable and overwhelmed by adult responsibilities. Shows strong regressive tendencies and wants to be taken care of. Related to the lack of development of autonomy and self-reliance, often caused by authoritarian upbringing.
www.schematherapysouthafrica.co.za/downloads/A%20list%20of%20schema%20modes.pdf

livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »

Thanks Skip.
If I had taken the test prior to my marriage/divorce with N/BPDxh, it would be a completely different profile. And when I read the modes in the pdf link you sent, I can identify with the behaviors. I think they are, to some extent, in all of us? The problem is when we are driven by them to the point of dysfunction.

Breathe.
mango_flower

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
--
--
Mod
High
High
High
--
High
High
--
Mod
Mod
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--

Ok! I will come back and think about analysing this tomorrow... . my brain is smooshed right now.

Matt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced.

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

Murbay

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--

I can relate to quite a lot of where the schema puts me. My childhood wasn't the greatest but there is nobody to blame for that. I know my mother tried her best but as I mentioned in a previous post, I was forced to give up my childhood at a very early age to take care of my sister. The up side of that is that I learned to self soothe and take care of my own issues but it also makes me reluctant to ask for help when I'm struggling with something.
It's ironic because my mother was in the very same position I was as a child and today she resents her sister and blames her for missing out on her dreams. On the other hand, as a child, I did hold that resentment towards my sister but as adults, I will go to her before I go to my own mother.
Through my T, I discovered the same thing as Nolisan, my ex had all the same traits as my mother, even right down to the same job (teaching children with learning disabilities) and even had the same illness too. I never knew these things about my ex until sometime into the relationship but it explains why things felt familiar. The funny thing too, my ex didn't like my mother and my mother didn't like my ex, they both said the other was too controlling. Very funny looking at that now, how they mirrored each other and dislike the same qualities they both have.
One major issue I do have is that my mother feels the guilt for my childhood and she does control but she knows she can't come through me so she goes behind my back. Imagine having your gf be told by your mother that you don't like being hugged or that you aren't an affectionate person when in truth you are. Oh the joys and plenty of different therapy ahead  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)
nolisan

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »

I don't really understand what this all means.
Is there somewhere that describes it?

Take a look at the earlier post - each "modes" traits are listed.
I'm no expert, just now reading up on the subject. The Wiki article looks good: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schema_Therapy
One thing that caught my eye is that Schema Therapy is good for BPD (and, it seems me, to be us Nons also)
Iced

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »

... . How do you take the test?
The link that goes to the Excel document opens up an instructions page and nothing else. 
Murbay

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:39 PM »

Iced, there are 4 tabs along the bottom, the tab next to intro is the test, then you have the calculations and finally the sheet to copy and paste.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

I don't really understand what this all means.
Is there somewhere that describes it?

In addition to the Schema Therapy website: www.schematherapy.com/,  and the stuff on Wikipedia, Skip also posted this .pdf -- it explains what the different modes are about: www.schematherapysouthafrica.co.za/downloads/A%20list%20of%20schema%20modes.pdf
It seems like it was initially developed to help clinicians work with pwBPD? Maybe it's useful for nons who want to understand if our own underlying coping modes are somehow sympatico?
I know it isn't an instrument designed to measure codependence (is there such a thing?), but it is validating to see that I made it into the happy child/healthy adult modes  Smiling (click to insert in post)  Probably doesn't mean I'm out of the woods with some codependent tendencies, but it does suggest that my coping mechanisms are going to pull me through most of what life throws my way.
Thanks for making this an easy test to do, putting it in Excel like that. I wanted to take the test but was too lazy to calculate it myself and this made it much easier.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »

There are explanations of maladaptive coping styles here:
www.schematherapy.com/id71.htm
Number 7 "compliant surrender" would fall under the umbrella of codependent or at it's Worse, clinical manifestation in the DSM IV,  dependent personality disorder.
Still working on taking the test... . I did it manually with number crunching and will do it again with the excel spreadsheet.
I think everyone has "parts"... . remnants of childhood adaptations we still carry, it's interesting to see what childhood coping/defenses we still fall back on as a adaptation that likely doesn't work so well for us in adulthood. My understanding is that Schema therapy helps you to strengthen those areas.

MaybeSo
Distinguished Member

Relationship status: Together five years, ended suddenly June 2011

Players only love you when they're playing...

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--

Interesting... . the one I did by hand I compared to a grid of scores for Non Patient control scores, Axis I patient scores, and Axis II patient scores.
I ranked with Axis I patients in undisciplined child, happy child, detached self soother, and punitive parent . The rest were ranked with non patient controls, and I didn't hit any Axis II patient scores.
1.  Vulnerable Child (Innate child mode):  feels lonely, isolated, sad, misunderstood, unsupported, defective, deprived, overwhelmed, incompetent, doubts self, needy, helpless, hopeless, frightened, anxious, worried, victimized, worthless, unloved, unlovable, lost, directionless, fragile, weak, defeated, oppressed, powerless, left out, excluded, pessimistic

2.  Angry Child (Innate Child Mode) : feels intensely angry, enraged, infuriated, frustrated, impatient because the core emotional (or physical) needs of the vulnerable child are not being met
6.  :)etached Protector (Maladaptive coping mode) : cuts off needs and feelings; detaches emotionally from people and rejects their help; feels withdrawn, spacey, distracted, disconnected, depersonalized, empty or bored; pursues distracting,  self-soothing,  or self-stimulating activities in a compulsive way or to excess; may adopt a cynical, aloof  or pessimistic stance to avoid investing in people or activities
8.  Punitive Parent (Maladaptive Parent mode) : feels that oneself or others deserves punishment or blame and often acts on these feelings by being blaming, punishing, or abusive towards self (e.g., self-mutilation) or others.  This mode refers to the style with which rules are enforced rather than the nature of the rules.

DreamGirl
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

Do. Or do not. There is no try.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 02:53:47 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--

Self-aggrandizer 

"What I want is what I've not got, and what I need is all around me." ~Dave Matthews

nolisan

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »

Does this test indicate codependent traits? Yes - indirectly.
It clearly indicates Adult Child traits and proclivities. And I have heard it said that "You can't be an Adult Child without being codependent and visa versa".
goldylamont

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:17 AM »

sounds like a bunch of healthy adults in here  Smiling (click to insert in post) what do you guys make of the poll, and the test? here's mine:

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
Mod
High
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--

cult

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married, 1 year

Fears Faced Are Freedoms Won

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
Mod
--
High
--
--
High
--
--
High
--
High
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

tuum est61

Relationship status: Married 10 years. Now divorced

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

123Phoebe
Staying and Undecided

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm

cult

Relationship status: Married, 1 year

Fears Faced Are Freedoms Won

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »

Dang, I scored higher than anyone else here! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). I actually contacted a scheme therapist locally after reading these results. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am encouraged that this might be a therapeutic route that can help me sort out my dysfunctional relationships since this definitely appears to be my issue!

tuum est61

Relationship status: Married 10 years. Now divorced

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »

Dang, I scored higher than anyone else here! Laugh out loud (click to insert in post). I actually contacted a scheme therapist locally after reading these results. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am encouraged that this might be a therapeutic route that can help me sort out my dysfunctional relationships since this definitely appears to be my issue!

I took the test about 10 months ago and again yesterday.  I note "improvement" in my scores - I had scored high on the bully and attack mode - and that doesn't seem to be the case now.  I had also scored high on the compliant surrenderer mode - and am still showing above normal on that with this test.  
The apparent contradiction of being high on bully and attack and compliant surrenderer really got me thinking about how I handle things - which seem to be holding in my frustration and then blowing up.  I definitely am trying to deal with my feelings earlier - or at least acknowledging my wifes' - without necessarily agreeing to any actions she prescribes for ME to deal with HER feelings - which has smoothed out the peaks and valleys.  
Octoberfest

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
High
--
Mod
High
--
High
High
Mod
Mod
--
--
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--

“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill
[/url]
Surnia
Retired Staff

Relationship status: 8 y married, divorced since 2012-11-22

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 12:21:32 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

Interesting test.
I have to admit that I am not so familiar with Schema. Something to look closer when I have more free time eg. summer holidays  
The "happy child" is a newer thing in my life I would say. I am sure I would have scored differently on this some years ago. :-)

“Don’t shrink. Don’t puff up. Stand on your sacred ground.”  Brené Brown
Gladto be away

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
High
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

DesertChild

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
High
Mod
--
Mod
High
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

I knew I'd score high for the first. Some of the questions for Angry child were unfair though.
For example: It makes me angry when someone tells me how I should feel or behave.
Always. 'Cause it's been happening since I was 5 and people still feel like they need to do it to my face today. People tell me to my face that I can't *love* someone that I *need* to choose someone else. I get *why*, but I think I have a right to be upset at them. I don't mind the behaving part so much, it's the "feeling" part and preaching at me for a good 5-10 minutes about my feelings that makes me upset. I get sick of it, especially since I get this lecture so frequently. I say a firm no, you can't and they feel like it's their god given right to preach anyway.
Though that's an outside issue of BPD, pwBPD in my life kinda exacerbated it.
Test also doesn't ask how you handle it... .Mostly I use brainy methods in the form of Socrates, etc. I make them realize their mistake.
Plus the test doesn't seem to differentiate between people who *are* actual people who get attacked frequently versus those who don't, but imagine themselves to be.
For example, someone who is say, gay and once a day someone calls them a slur... .ummm... .I think they'd be more justified than someone who was living it well and complemented. Anger isn't always a bad thing. But the test doesn't differentiate between productive anger, such as civil rights, and anger that doesn't make a change. Nor situational value.
ZigofZag

Relationship status: Married & Living apart

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 03:46:18 AM »

Surprised that it picked up on vulnerable child, I thought that was buried nice and deep!

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

Hiloguy

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
Mod
--
Mod
Mod
Mod
Mod
--
Mod
Mod
--

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--

VeryFree
Formerly known as 'VeryScared' and 'ABitAnnoyed'

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »

I'm trying to interpret my score:
Above average on the vulnerable and angry child-scheme. I understand that one. Looking back I was a lonely kid: had loving parents, which trusted me enormously. Because of that I got used to take on responsibilities and to solve my own problems. Looking back too much I think, because I never really got pointed the right direction, never really was validated (no complaining meant things were good), never was stimulated (wasn't necessary).
From that the above norm compliant surrender, detached protector and self-soother seem logical. Never ask another one for help, try to help yourself, don't bother another, meanwhile trying to have a high standard (demanding parent).
Probably a lot of issues, but the high score on the healthy adult-scheme keeps things in control.
Am I seeing this correctly?

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--

Okay, 5 months later I score as follows:

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--

Still 4 of 5 items above norm, but it seems like my scores are shifting towards the norm. Probably a good thing. I think I found some more rest the past few months, been thinking a lot about me and my life and trying to do things the right way. I that way I recognize my new scores.

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--

Self-aggrandizer 

Yes, me too!  Interesting ouch there, something for me to think about.  This actually came up for me as a stress reaction on a Birkman Profile about 6 years ago.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
pessim-optimist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--

Ok, a bit of the vulnerable child, teensy bit of anger and aggression, and self-aggrandizer (probably to mask insecurities)   ALL a good fit for   PD traits from childhood experiences & parental examples. Something to work on... .
Isn't it interesting that sometimes we pick up even the things we don't like about our parents?
Demanding parent - definitely (it turns into critical self-talk too. Another thing to work on)
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
High
--
--
--
--
--
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
livednlearned
Retired Staff

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »

I think the Demanding Parent data is interesting. Critical self talk... .
Maybe a pronounced codependent trait?

Breathe.
janey62

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Uncertain...

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »

It seems I'm a lot healthier than I thought I was.  I'm less healthy now because of this relationship, but still retain the growth and strengths I had gained over the years leading up to it.
This makes me think, as I read somewhere else too, that even if you're relatively healthy being in a BPD relationship can take you back to unhealthier days.  I think it's because you compromise your boundaries to accommodate someone you are attracted to, love, pity, care for, empathise with, etc.
Janey

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm

dontknow2

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »

Surprised most by healthy adult. The return on investment from 4 years of therapy really shows here.
Not surprised by the vulnerability at all. At least I know where my residual anger stems from; working on better taking care of myself yet still struggle. Need to read-up on Detached Protector... . hhhmmm, intrigued.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--

ts919

Relationship status: married

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »

Very interesting indeed

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
High
--
Mod
High
--
Mod
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

Popcorn71

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
High
Mod
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
High
Mod
--
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--

Allmessedup

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 11:51:05 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
--
--
--
Mod
--
High
Mod
High
--
--
High
High
--

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

Pingo

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--

BuildingFromScratch

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
Mod
--
--
High
--
High
High
High
Mod
--
High
High
--

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
billypilgrim

Relationship status: Separated since 10/2014. Divorce will be finalized 10/2015.

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
High
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

Moselle

Every day is a gift. Live it fully

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
High
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--

HappyNihilist

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
--
--
--
High
High
High
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--

"""Above norm"" is greater than 1 standard deviation from the mean (average) - stronger tendencies than the general population."

Fluff

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 09:51:14 AM »

The F, I'm highest in all the BPD modes.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
High
--
--
Mod
High
Mod
High
Mod
Mod
--
Mod
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

My analysis is I have weak BPD and vulnerable narc traits. That's actually what I would expect. On PD tests Avoidant Personality Disorder is really high. But that might be a result of these two.
HappyNihilist

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
--
--
--
High
High
High
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--

"""Above norm"" is greater than 1 standard deviation from the mean (average) - stronger tendencies than the general population."

I'm pleased and thankful for my high tendencies towards the Happy Child and Happy Adult modes. I really do feel like I'm mostly OK overall, and I generally quite enjoy life. Smiling (click to insert in post)
I feel like learning more about all of the modes, and my own tendencies, has been very helpful in my ongoing quest for my own truth.
Undisciplined (Impulsive) Child - acts on non-core desires or impulses in a selfish or uncontrolled manner to get his or her own way and often has difficulty delaying short-term gratification; often feels intensely angry, enraged, infuriated, frustrated, impatient when these non-core desires or impulses cannot be met; may appear 'spoiled'
My parents didn't really "spoil" me, and I certainly wasn't undisciplined. This tendency of mine is in a lot of ways a "rebellion" against continued suppression of my own needs... .which is covered in another mode. I do have a problem delaying short-term gratification and setting long-term goals. I've done a lot of work in this area, actually, and looking back, I'm quite proud of how far I've come in the past 10 years or so. It will always be a natural part of me, but I can live and thrive with it.
Now, how did this tendency play in my r/s with my exBPDbf? He was an only child (like me) with a high tendency towards Undisciplined Child himself. He once said that we would pout each other to death. But there can't be two Undisciplined Children for long, and I eventually avoided reverting to this mode, because it might infringe on his desires and impulses.
With this mode inaccessible, I went full-force into my most natural "unhealthy" innate child mode... .
Vulnerable Childfeels lonely, isolated, sad, misunderstood, unsupported, defective, deprived, overwhelmed, incompetent, doubts self, needy, helpless, hopeless, frightened, anxious, worried, victimized, worthless, unloved, unlovable, lost, directionless, fragile, weak, defeated, oppressed, powerless, left out, excluded, pessimistic
Yes, yes, yes, and so on.
This is my deepest soul wound that I must heal. I know it. And I know it's not easy. But I'm trying.
As far as my r/s... .well, a Vulnerable Child who feels unlovable, defective, directionless, lonely, etc., desperately wants to soothe those feelings. So I clung on tightly to my exBPDbf because he soothed them for me... .and he did so by presenting a mode (his primary coping mechanism) that was intimately familiar to me because it was what my caregiver (mother) practically lives by: the Demanding Parent.
Demanding Parent - feels that the "right" way to be is to be perfect or achieve at a very high level, to keep everything in order, to strive for high status, to be humble, to put others' needs before one's own, or to be efficient or avoid wasting time; or the person feels that it is wrong to express feelings or to act spontaneously.  This mode refer to the nature of the internalized high standards and strict rules, rather than the style with which these rules are enforced; these rules are not compensatory in their function
My moderate tendency towards this maladaptive parent mode shows my internalization of this. My exbf provided it externally and as naturally as breathing.
So, what happens when a Vulnerable Child meets a Demanding Parent (with a good dose of Punitive Parent to boot)? In my relationship with my exbf, just as in my r/s with my mother, I eventually became the epitome of the Compliant Surrender maladaptive coping method.
Compliant Surrender - acts in a passive, subservient, submissive, approval-seeking, or self-deprecating way around others out of fear of conflict or rejection; tolerates abuse and/or bad treatment; does not express healthy needs or desires to others; selects people or engages in other behavior that directly maintains the self-defeating schema-driven pattern
After the breakup, my ex wistfully talked about how docile and compliant I was... .and it's true... .the depths to which I can go in this mode are deep and dark indeed. Usually it's not nearly so extreme, but with someone who pushes just the right combination of buttons on the access panel to my soul... .*peers over the edge into the bottomless pit*
OffRoad

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 07:31:01 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm

I'm surprised. I wonder if I would have had the same results three months ago?
Lifewriter16

Relationship status: GF/BF only. We never lived together.

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »

Message from Skip on how to paste into a thread:
Try going to the third page of the workbook and copying the long narrow column that looks nothing like the final table (its coded).  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
Mod
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
High
Mod
--
--
Mod
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--

Hey, thanks Skip - it works! Anyone knows what this means?
Lifewriter
Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2015, 04:59:22 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
thisagain

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm

I had the same thought as DesertChild (reply #31) about the Angry Child... .is there something wrong with not liking other people telling you how you should feel or behave? Especially telling you that you shouldn't feel some valid feeling. If I was hurt by something horrible my BPD ex did, and she told me I shouldn't be hurt by it (because it was justified in her delusional black-and-white world), yes that makes me angry. That's gaslighting and emotional abuse and it makes me angry.

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »

"Child" refers to childhood emotions carried into adulthood. From Jeffrey Young, PhD
We have identified five main modes that characterize the borderline patient:  
1.  the Abandoned Child
2.  the Angry Child
3.  the Punitive Parent
4.  the Detached Protector
5.  the Healthy Adult
We will summarize the modes briefly to provide an overview, and then we will describe each one more fully.  
The Abandoned Child mode is the suffering inner child.  It is the part of the patient that feels most of the schemas – that feels the pain of the abandonment, abuse, deprivation, defectiveness, subjugation.  
The Angry Child mode is predominant when the patient is enraged because her basic emotional needs are not being met.  
The Punitive Parent mode is the internalized voice of the parent, criticizing and punishing the patient.  When the Punitive Parent mode is activated, the patient becomes a cruel persecutor, usually of herself.  
In the Detached Protector mode, the patient shuts off all emotions, disconnects from others, and functions like a machine.  
The Healthy Adult mode is weak to nonexistent in the borderline patient, especially at the beginning of treatment.

Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:06 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--

Seems pretty accurate to me.  I do have some tendencies towards being a demanding parent and punishing parent to myself.  I was surprised to see I had a "mod" for Happy child."  That is good to know as I figured maybe my demanding parent may squash that at times.
Thank you for this.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
babyducks

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2015, 05:05:56 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
Mod
High
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
Chilibean13

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 08:11:09 AM »

My results are interesting considering I scored so high on healthy adult. This just further shows me that in my life most things are going well except in my relationship. It is only with my uBPDh that I work out of the other schemas.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
Mod
High
Mod
--
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
--
Above norm

C.Stein

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
Mod
Mod
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--

RedPixie

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2015, 11:27:10 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm

SandWitch

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2015, 10:40:58 PM »

I am an only child with a severe BPD mother and an alcoholic father. I was often the parent but also considered to be to blame.  Inner-resting.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
Mod
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

Sword

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
Mod
High
--
--
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--

Ha... .idk how I got 'healthy adult' with the rest of those... .
hashtag_loyal

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
High
--
--
Mod
High
--
--
--
--
--
High
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm

Indiegrl

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2015, 05:53:33 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
--
--
--
--
High
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

JaneStorm

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2015, 10:39:27 PM »

I am not surprised but disappointed that I am not more stable. I wonder what it would have measured had I taken it prior to meeting my pwBPD. I will see this as a temporary set-back. I will not own it as mine for life. I can build and be what I was.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
--
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
Mod

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--

"You are the love of my life
You are the love of my life
You were the love of my life
This time we know, we know
It's over..."
Thin Line - Macklemore
cherryblossom

« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:25 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

This is refreshing -nice to see the healthy adult and happy child acknowledged higher than what I thought it gives me hope!
cloudten

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »

Hmm... Not completely sure what I think of this. Haha... .but I am glad I did it.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
High
--
--
--
--
--
High
High
Mod
Mod
--
--
High
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

Lifewriter16

Relationship status: GF/BF only. We never lived together.

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »

Hi cloudten,
I was just looking at the results in your Schema Inventory post and was wondering what was going through your head when you say you're not sure what you think about the results.
Do your results make sense to you in terms of what you know about yourself, would you say?
My thoughts are this:

• Certain modes are essentials features in BPD and they are low in your profile. They are: Angry Child/Enraged Child; Impulsive Child/Undisciplined Child; Bully and Attack mode and Punishing Parent.

• I note the high levels of healthy adult and low levels of Happy Child.

My question to you is this: What could you do to develop your Happy Child mode. How might you allow yourself and your inner child to have some child-like fun?
Love
Lifewriter
half-life

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »

Thank you for setting up this survey. I am both a happy and vulnerable child  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult

Tendency
--------------
Mod
--
--
--
--
Mod
--
--
Mod
--
--
--
Mod
High

Avg
--------

4+
-------

Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

caughtnreleased

« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »

Hmmm. above normal on a lot of these. What can we do with these results.  I think my vulnerable child connected with my BPDex's vulnerable child. We were long lost childhood best friends. My mind was completely blown and continues to be to this day. Unfortunately, although I found my long lost childhood best friend, very shortly after, he was lost again.  The pain of this loss was more than I could handle. I broke into a million pieces.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 High
 Mod
 --
 --
 Mod
 --
 --
 Mod
 --
 High
 --
 Mod
 High
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

The crumbs of love that you offer me, they're the crumbs I've left behind. - L. Cohen
valet
Retired Staff

« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »

Excerpt
Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 High
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm

I took the test again out of curiosity. I think that the results are pretty accurate considering where I feel like I am right now emotionally. Still processing some past (and recent) events.

I think I'm gonna take it again in a six-ish months if I remember. I wonder how my scores now will have changed. I reckon I'll lose that above norm on the detached protector stance, but I can't object to my current result. I definitely have tended towards those behaviors the last several months... .

beggarsblanket

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2016, 03:17:05 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 High
 --
 --
 --
 High
 --
 --
 Mod
 High
 --
 --
 Mod
 Mod
 --
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--

I took the test twice. It came out roughly the same, with the highest scores both times for vulnerable child, undisciplined child, detached self-soother, and punitive parent. All four modes describe me precisely. This is eye-opening. I will be bringing these results along to my first therapy session. Thank you to  bpdfamily for making this tool available.
Kyanite

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »

I just took the Schema Inventory, and I feel pretty good about it.

I have spent the last few years working on my self development, healthy parent mode, and self-acceptance. I feel like these results validate the work I have been doing and show that I am making improvements.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I still have a lot of work to do on my ":)emanding Parent" mode and "Compliant Surrender." I may have sometimes slightly deflated the intensity of statements, but I really tried not to. My inner nerd loves having this kind of validation of my progress.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

Whoad

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2017, 07:18:11 AM »

Not sure what to make of the results as I am the loved one of BPD person. But when I took the he exam, I saw how she might feel and those statements have been made to me... she is open about her feelings... which is good?  

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
--
--
--
--
--
High
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

DaddyBear77

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2018, 10:05:49 PM »

Very interesting results - I completely agree with the High schemas. Not sure I understand exactly why the others are showing above norm?

Definitely shows some things I want to work on... .

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 --
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 Mod
 High
 --
 --
 Mod
 --
 --
 Mod
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
--
--

Teno

« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 --
 Mod
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 Mod
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
--
--

WileyCoyote

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2018, 12:57:56 PM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother  
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 High
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Above norm  (I'm an Alcoholic)
--
--
--
--
Above norm

Detached self-soother: Shut off their emotions by engaging in activities that will somehow soothe,
stimulate or distract them from feeling. These behaviours are usually undertaken in an addictive or
compulsive way, and can include workaholism, gambling, dangerous sports, promiscuous sex, or drug abuse. Another group of patients compulsively engages in solitary interests that are more
self-soothing than self-stimulating, such as playing computer games, overeating, watching television, or fantasizing.

Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.
I'm going to get that damn road runner.

"A self of suffering, brings only suffering to the world.
It is a choice, and we can refuse it."  Ashkaari Canto 4
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2018, 01:20:30 AM »

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 Mod
 Mod
 --
 --
 Mod
 Mod
 Mod
 --
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 High
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

INNATE CHILD MODES
Vulnerable Child:  Moderate feels lonely, isolated, sad, misunderstood, unsupported, defective, deprived, overwhelmed, incompetent, doubts self, needy, helpless, hopeless, frightened, anxious, worried, victimized, worthless, unloved, unlovable, lost, directionless, fragile, weak, defeated, oppressed, powerless, left out, excluded, pessimistic

Angry Child: Moderate feels intensely angry, enraged, infuriated, frustrated, impatient because the core emotional (or physical) needs of the vulnerable child are not being met

Impulsive or Undisciplined Child: Moderate acts on non-core desires or impulses in a selfish or uncontrolled manner to get his or her own way and often has difficulty delaying short-term gratification; often feels intensely angry, enraged, infuriated, frustrated, impatient when these non-core desires or impulses cannot be met.; may appear “spoiled”

Happy / Contented Child: Moderate feels loved, contented, connected, satisfied, fulfilled, protected, accepted, praised, worthwhile, nurtured, guided, understood, validated, self-confident, competent, appropriately autonomous or self-reliant, safe, resilient, strong, in control, adaptable, included, optimistic, spontaneous

MALADAPTIVE COPING MODES 
Compliant Surrenderer : Moderate acts in a passive, subservient, submissive, approval-seeking, or self-deprecating way around others out of fear of conflict or rejection; tolerates abuse and/or bad treatment; does not express healthy needs or desires to others; selects people or engages in other behavior that directly maintains the self-defeating schema-driven pattern

MALADAPTIVE PARENT MODES

Punitive Parent : Moderate feels that oneself or others deserves punishment or blame and often acts on these feelings by being blaming, punishing, or abusive towards self (e.g., self-mutilation) or others.  This mode refers to the style with which rules are enforced rather than the nature of the rules.

Demanding / Critical Parent : High feels that the “right” way to be is to be perfect or achieve at a very high level, to keep everything in order, to strive for high status, to be humble, to puts others needs before one's own or to be efficient or avoid wasting time; or the person feels that it is wrong to express feelings or to act spontaneously.  This mode refer to the nature of the internalized  high standards and strict rules, rather than the style with which these rules are enforced; these rules are not compensatory in their function.

Healthy Adult : High nurtures, validates and affirms the vulnerable child mode; sets limits for the angry and impulsive child modes; promotes and supports the healthy child mode; combats and eventually replaces the maladaptive coping modes; neutralizes or moderates the maladaptive parent modes.  This mode also performs appropriate adult functions such as working, parenting, taking responsibility, and committing; pursues pleasurable adult activities such as sex; intellectual, esthetic, and cultural  interests; health maintenance; and athletic activities.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2018, 11:14:42 PM »

Mode   
Vulnerable child   
Angry Child   
Enraged Child   
Impulsive Child   
Undisciplined Child   
Happy Child   
Compliant Surrender    
Detached Protector   
Detached Self-Soother   
Self-aggrandizer   
Bully and Attack mode    
Punishing Parent    
Demanding Parent    
Healthy Adult   

Tendency   
--------------   
 Mod    
 --    
 --    
 --    
 Mod    
 --    
 --    
 --    
 --    
 --    
 --    
 --    
 High    
 --    

Avg   
--------   

4+   
-------   

Compare to GP   
-------------------   
Above norm   
--   
--   
--   
Above norm   
--   
Above norm   
Above norm   
Above norm   
--   
--   
Above norm   
--   
--   

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
cle216

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »

Definitely interesting. This will take a little time to process. I'm surprised about the angry child score...I don't view myself as angry. At least not expressing it. But maybe I am and I need to find healthy ways to express how I feel. I'm trying to understand the results of both angry and happy child...I found many supports outside of my home so I suppose I have some conflicting feelings on my childhood.

As far as the demanding parent. I think even as a really good kid, with high grades, and staying out of trouble, there was always something I was doing "wrong". On a different note. I maintained high standards for myself because that was what I saw as my way out of the situation...my education and ability to be self-reliant and not have to stick around longer than needed.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 --
 Mod
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 Mod
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 Mod
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
--

wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2019, 07:33:42 AM »

Not sure what my takeaway here is, perhaps it's I've worked through difficult issues during my life, that held me back. I let go. My DD31 dx BPD-co morbid 2015, been through DBT and now with new T, schema, compassion, trauma therapy. I wonder what her starting scores might be. She has brought me here to learn from her.

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 High
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 --
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

Excerpt
Courage isn’t something you are born with. It is a skill that is acquired over time as you push through the little things in life that scare you. Courage can be learned but it starts with being yourself and showing up even when are scared or nervous.
Brene Brown.

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Resiliant

Relationship status: Married. With adult child relationship can be described as loving. Cloudy with sunny breaks. High wind warning. Risk of thunderstorms but much less severe than previous. Long term forecast shows promise of sunnier days ahead

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »

i had a little trouble with the excel file.  Parts of it were in some kind of Asian language.
I couldn't use the cut/past function properly but the test itself worked fine.

This is great for self reflection.  I had no idea I would score high on the demanding parent side!  Ha!  Take that everyone who thinks I was too easy on them!   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
Personally I thought I would have scored higher on the impulsive and undisciplined child side.  My parents were really good at discipline but I was still a naughty fun-loving child in school.  I still like to get crazy sometimes  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Mode                     Tendency       Avg
Vulnerable child             --               1.0
Angry Child                     --               1.1
Enraged Child             --               1.0
Impulsive Child             --               2.1
Undisciplined Child        --               2.0
Happy Child                   High       5.6
Compliant Surrender     Mod       4.0
Detached Protector      --               1.1
Detached Self-Soother    --      1.3
Self-aggrandizer               --              1.8
Bully and Attack mode     --      1.6
Punishing Parent       --              1.1
Demanding Parent     High       3.5
Healthy Adult           High       5.3

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

― Charles R. Swindoll
Riv3rW0lf

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Relationship status: Estranged; Complicated

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2022, 05:31:26 AM »

Thank you for providing such amazing tools for self-help !

Mode
Vulnerable child
Angry Child
Enraged Child
Impulsive Child
Undisciplined Child
Happy Child
Compliant Surrender
Detached Protector
Detached Self-Soother
Self-aggrandizer
Bully and Attack mode
Punishing Parent
Demanding Parent
Healthy Adult
Tendency
--------------
 Mod
 Mod
 --
 --
 --
 High
 Mod
 High
 --
 --
 --
 --
 High
 High
Avg
--------
4+
-------
Compare to GP
-------------------
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
Above norm
--
--
Above norm
Above norm
--

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions