Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:53:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shari Schreiber: Online Reputation, Independent Review  (Read 6570 times)
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »

I have read some her articles.  I found them to be filled with malice and anger. Her articles are based on her assertions, and not empirical evidence.  In my opinion , it is not constructive to shift all the blame to pwBPD.  If we do not take responsibility for our part in the relationship, we will never heal or grow as a person.  I have read a lot of literature on trauma bonding.

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
hurting300

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »

I have read some her articles.  I found them to be filled with malice and anger. Her articles are based on her assertions, and not empirical evidence.  In my opinion , it is not constructive to shift all the blame to pwBPD.  If we do not take responsibility for our part in the relationship, we will never heal or grow as a person.  I have read a lot of literature on trauma bonding.

honestly, I'll have to say she is accurate. I've hired two professionals to try and profile my ex and they said the same thing she does. It is not malice if it's true.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
EaglesJuju
Retired Staff

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 03:51:55 PM »

honestly, I'll have to say she is accurate. I've hired two professionals to try and profile my ex and they said the same thing she does. It is not malice if it's true.

The author overgeneralizes that all pwBPD act this way.  She fails to discern that PDs are spectrum disorders, they have a broad range of behaviors.  Yes, there are some common traits and behaviors, but asserting that all people with BPD are evil, vindictive, and non empathetic is a fallacy. It appears she is amalgamating BPD with ASPD.  I have read some of her responses to questions and they were absolutely ridiculous.  She has a grandiose sense of authority, especially for someone without a PhD.   Your ex seems to have a lot of ASPD traits. ASPD is a different ball game.  

"In order to take control of our lives and accomplish something of lasting value, sooner or later we need to Believe. We simply need to believe in the power that is within us, and use it." -Benjamin Hoff
Lucky One

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 05:10:02 AM »

It's amazing how every one has a different viewpoint.

I think men, will mostly like what this person writes, especially if the man is going through a lot of mental and emotional pain and suffering "supposedly" all caused by their BPD partner! They (the man)  are totally innocent! I mean who can believe that?  Her header page, is Fantastic for a man. We've got to speak the truth here.

What are her CREDENTIALS?  Is she balanced, fair, professionally experienced (academic & research tested) to handle this very complicated set of PD's?

I'm busy with CBT and DBT self help courses I found on BPD family site. I've almost finished CBT (Mood Gym) and I like what I'm doing - because it's starting to work a little bit.

If, there is one thing, I've learnt in life, it's stick to what is working.
behindme

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 03:42:23 PM »

Well... .I am new here so suppose I should keep comments brief and not too harsh but... .I have had experience with this so-called "therapist" however, as discussed in many forums Ms. Schrieber is NOT a therapist by any stretch of the imagination. She is a glorified life coach with, IMHO, the capacity to way overstep her boundaries as such.

Sure, she has some helpful insights and can reel in folks with her stylized prose.

Beyond that, this woman has some issues that become readily apparent when she loses her professional cool which had happened on more than one occasion with me. Not to mention that virtually everyone gets categorized as having BPD or NPD traits. This conveniently fits into a narrow scheme of thinking. She frequently uses the catch phrase "you can't hold a mirror to a narcissist" yet I suspect she fails to see herself in such a mirror, nor the BPD in it after a few rants she delivered.

I did absolve myself of such therapeutic techniques but once I became involved with a couple of very well-trained and professional therapists did I fully see such pit-falls - and hazards - of such narrow thinking.

Choose wisely and carefully, invest in your future with as much planning as you do your finances - this is, after all, a highly valued emotional investment.  
trappedinlove

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »

I've read Shari Schreiber articles on BPD before reaching bpdfamily.com and it seemed to me they are very biased against pwBPDs.

Do you think her approach is actually helpful in keeping a healthy relationship with a BPD partner or will cause the reader to give up on it and run for his/her life?
Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 06:23:14 AM »

Here is a review of her work:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=148844

Here is a rundown on her credentials:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=161211.msg1160463#msg1160463

behindme

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »

I can't discern what the actual question was: are you simply reading her work or considering sessions with her?

I, too, was drawn to her written word (flaws and all; she desperately needs an editor) so I worked directly with her - and nearly suffered irreparable harm as a result.

She is NOT a licensed or trained therapist and is terribly slanted in her view.  Her methods leave much to be desired.

Extract from her articles what you find helpful but proceed with utmost caution if contacting her for phone sessions.  

Just  my 2 cents (and her nearly $200/hr).
guy4caligirl

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:08 AM »

Is Shari Schreiber's article helpful or not should we all read it?  Please A simple yes or no?

Rise

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:15 AM »

Is Shari Schreiber's article helpful or not should we all read it?  Please A simple yes or no?

Short answer, in my personal opinion, no. I never really got anything out of her stuff. I'm sure there are those out there that have, I'm not one of them.
zaster

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »

What are her CREDENTIALS.

She might work for some, but I had a bad experience with her. If you search the net or call the Attorney General's office in California or New York, you will learn that I am not alone.  

As I understand it, she never had a valid therapist's license. She was an “intern” and that was revoked in 2001. The license she has held was a cosmetology license which she held from 1981 to 2013.  It's public record (#61510 California).

One complaint on the web says she is lying when she says she has formal background in personality disorders.  She started her web site in 2004 and listed her specialty as weight loss, career transitions, mid-life struggles, sexual difficulties, anxiety, (adult) Attention Deficit Disorders, issues I read that she struggles with personaly. Nothing about BPD. BPD doesn't appear on her website until October of 2009.  I verified this (www.archive.org/web).

She's a gypsy therapist operating below the radar.

HappyNihilist

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2014, 01:02:22 PM »

The author overgeneralizes that all pwBPD act this way.  She fails to discern that PDs are spectrum disorders, they have a broad range of behaviors.  Yes, there are some common traits and behaviors, but asserting that all people with BPD are evil, vindictive, and non empathetic is a fallacy. It appears she is amalgamating BPD with ASPD.

I agree that she does this a lot. My exbf has ASPD and NPD traits along with his diagnosed BPD, so some of the information on Schreiber's site was helpful to me in the beginning, when the breakup was still so raw and I was struggling to make sense of everything.

I wouldn't recommend taking everything that she says to heart -- I wouldn't recommend that in anyone's case, but especially not here, given Schreiber's questionable credentials -- but you may find a couple of things that help you. Plus, reading her work led me to others' work on PDs, trauma bonds, etc., which was very helpful.

I agree with what a lot of others have said: it's best to look at our part in these relationships, rather than just casting all the blame onto the other person. Malice and blaming is not helpful for growth and recovery in the long run.
Dee17

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

She a slick pitchman for sure. This Internet recording says it all and in her voice. Listen how effortlessly she lies about how she has been treating Borderline Personality Disorder for 20 years.  She even summarizes her patient criteria and method. Is it possible that she was treating this sophisticated disorder before she went to school?

Minutes later in the recording she explains that she typically has three "borderlines" in "treatment".

Here is the transcript in case you don't have time to listen.

The Siren Song of Crazy, Toxic Women

Caller (35:44): I’d like to ask that you not generalize the way you’re doing it. Because once you get that kiss of death... .

You wouldn’t talk about somebody with cystic fibrosis the way you are.  You’re talking about borderlines in a fairly general way as being “watch out they're toxic, here’s how we protect ourselves…

Shari Schreiber (36:12): Karen dear ,with all due respect Karen, may I jump in here for a moment.

Tara J. Palmatier (36:16): Yes, I muted her so that you could talk.

Shari Schreiber (36:19): OK. Karen dear I don’t hate borderlines.  In fact some of my favorite clients are borderlines. Karen, I just, I treat borderlines.  I’ve treated borderlines for 20 years (1991-2011).  I’m very selective about who I’ll take on.  I have to feel as though, going into the deal, that they are highly motivated to heal and grow emotionally because Borderline Personality Disorder the very core of it the very root of it is arrested emotional development so if you can help people grow emotionally and move into adult development you have no more borderline symptoms… So, um, I do not hate borderlines.

Caller (37:05): Please don’t be offended. I enjoy this show.

Shari Schreiber (37:10): I’m not offended, dear, believe me I get hate mail that is far worse than this.

Later... .

Caller (38:18): Wow, are you ever a scary therapist.

Shari Schreiber (38:23): Ha ha ha. I'm not a therapist, dear, I'm not in the therapy business, I'm in the healing business and I work with plenty of borderlines over the past 20 years that I've actually helped get well and that is my commitment to them. But a lot of them don't want to get well, won't do the work. They are terrified of change of any kind an growth. So, I work with as many as I can work with. I usually have between 3 and 4 in my practice and some of them are psychotherapists.

blogtalkradio.com

Seriously, if you had BPD would you pay the person who wrote this rant to treat you?  gettingbetter.com/BPDrants.html
Ihope2

Relationship status: divorced

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »

In my first Internet searches on BPD, I came across this woman's "work" and read some of her articles.  I found them very dramatic and sensationalist, vindictive, blaming and vengeful.  Exactly all the type of drama I was trying to get away from in my situation at the time, having  gotten into a marriage with a man with BPD very quickly and now realising that something was terribly wrong.

So, I didn't find Shari Schreiber's take on BPD very helpful at all, in fact, I was so exhausted from all the drama in my own life, that I found her articles equally as exhausting to read through!

Talk about pouring salt into a painful wound!  
GuiltHaunted

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:47 AM »

Yes Schreiber's articles are biased and clearly not objective (anyone should be able to see that, no matter what state of suffering they are in).

In the beginning, I took a lot of the blame for my failed relationship on myself (hence the user name). I didn't know about BPD before the relationship was over. Schreiber's in you face writing style gave me the necessary kick in the nuts, to realize this was not my fault. And it gave me the desire to seek more knowledge and broader view on BPD and human psychology in general.

So, YES, I do think she might be helpful for this. I was on a mainstream relationship-advice forum post-breakup, and found the link to her waif-article that way. Had I not stumbled upon her website, I might not have looked into BPD and I might not have ended up here.

Using her as the only source would not have been helpful, in my situation. But I am glad it lead me into researching more about BPD on my own and to this very website. If you are already doing you own research and active here, you will find her articles a bit amusing and extremely oversimplified.
nowwhatz

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »

When I was going through the worst period of the r/s a couple of years ago I found Schreiber's aritcles to be slightly helpful but often I would feel like a complete idiot and loser after reading the articles.

Since then I have checked out the website and try to take out of the articles whatever material might be helpful and admit some of her articles are amusing. If nothing else her articles helped make me more aware of and interested in learning about BPD, and sometimes provide a cold-slap wake up call through their abrasiveness.
AnonymousGuy
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2014, 06:35:31 AM »

Hi everybody from bpdfamily, I have been lurking around this message board a few times now.

I am a 19 year old male living in Denmark.

Yesterday i called Shari Shreiber asking her if she had any advice about dealing with borderline personality disorder.

She said that I should blame my mother. She told me that she was the one that had PLEASE READed me up (this is in her own words) - I told her that i didn't like the word blame - I told her that i think forgiveness is important. She said that i was full of ___. Anyway she continued with a few other derogatory comments. She asked me if i was still living with my mother and i said yes (Though i am moving next year) - She said I have a big ego and then I asked her how she knew that because we had only talked for 5 minutes and she was the one talking most of the time. She said because she had worked with people like me but then i told her she doesn't know me - I asked her how she knew how i thought because she was implying allot of things as if i thought of my mother as a saint, which I absolutely did not, but she kept brushing the fact that it was all her fault.

I want to live in peace and harmony. I blame my mother, but I forgive her. I have not forgotten but I do forgive her. Why? Simply because I want to live in peace. Blame causes anger, and behind anger there is fear.

Anyway she then said to me "You called me for answers so you better accept them" I said... .Well I just want to discuss... .Then at the end she said "Ok I guess this is the end of the conversation then?" so I said Ok and Bye.

Now I am just plain confused.
behindme

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »

Hi everybody from bpdfamily, I have been lurking around this message board a few times now.

I am a 19 year old male living in Denmark.

Yesterday I called Shari Schreiber asking her if she had any advice about dealing with borderline personality disorder.

She said that I should blame my mother. She told me that she was the one that had ******* me up (this is in her own words).  I told her that i didn't like the word blame - I told her that i think forgiveness is important. She said that i was full of ****.

Anyway she continued with a few other derogatory comments. She asked me if i was still living with my mother and i said yes (though i am moving next year) - She said I have a big ego and then I asked her how she knew that because we had only talked for 5 minutes and she was the one talking most of the time. She said because she had worked with people like me but then i told her she doesn't know me - I asked her how she knew how i thought because she was implying allot of things as if i thought of my mother as a saint, which I absolutely did not, but she kept brushing the fact that it was all her fault.

I want to live in peace and harmony. I blame my mother, but I forgive her. I have not forgotten but I do forgive her. Why? Simply because I want to live in peace. Blame causes anger, and behind anger there is fear.

Anyway she then said to me "You called me for answers so you better accept them"

That's Schreiber's modus operandi for you and a clear indication of how she differs from more professional and dare I say credible counsellors.  She uses this one size fits all approach to those who seek advice from her. This self-proclaimed guru of all things BPD sees this mother issue as the standardized approach no matter what ones individualized background. Should someone seeking or be engaged in "therapy" with her (although therapy is not the best term since she is truly not qualified to provide it though she will fight tooth and nail that her life experience is better than any schooling - a highly narcissistic approach) take issue with that, as you had, she'll quickly and quite aggressively take the counter attack. Mind you, this is all coming from someone who has admittedly struggled with major mother issues of her own and claims to have worked past them yet it becomes clear in the consistent patterns presented to all with whom she has worked that her "core" issues - another favorite and redundant term of hers - seem to be replayed within a repetitive framework with all clients she encounters... .how utterly convenient for her and how potentially disastrous for clients.  I know; I'd been one of them.  

Did I learn some lessons? Yes, some valuable about myself but in the process some quite valuable about charlatans and folks who talk a good game. In so doing, I outpaced continuous  bewitching games before further damage was done - Sound like a familiar BPD/NPD pattern? You heard it yourself, didn't you? Why leave one "menacing" relationship for another?  Kudos to you for answering your own question... .you demonstrate wisdom beyond your years.  Best of luck in finding a qualified therapist but sounds like your instincts will be leading you in the right direction.
hurting300

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »

Schreiebr is one sided sure, but what is so odd to me is everything we say our exes did to us, she says they do those things.Are people here upset with her for predicting behavior? She says people with BPD leave nothing but broken hearts behind them right? Tell what we are doing here again? I hired two psychology experts and they said the same things she said. They also told me to work on myself. Everyone has an opinion. Her opinions so far have been dead on for me. This site is level headed and that's a good thing also.

In the eye for an eye game, he who cares least, wins. I, for one. am never stepping into the ring with someone who is impulsive and doesn't think of the downstream consequences.
behindme

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

I believe what anonymousguy and I were addressing were not so much Schreiber's articles which regretably we related to and reeled us in - but more to the point we had contacted her directly for the intent purpose of individualized therapy.  

The probem becomes much more apparent when blanket statements are revealed as being applied to everyone going through their unique BPD relationships in addition to how she directly speaks to people in a tough love type attitude.  

It's one thing to write that way, and another to use such an approach in "therapy" for which one is spending good money.
BPDTransformation

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 06:00:36 PM »

It was probably already mentioned somewhere in this long thread, but Shari Schreiber isn't even a licensed therapist in the state she works in, at least, not the last time I checked her site. In my opinion, her site is full of gross distortions to the point that it is not worth reading at all. I would never refer a person dealing with BPD traits to this site, and feel sorry for the people who were tricked out of money by her.

I noticed A.J., Tami and some other BPDs who recovered were named on this site. I would add Debbie Corso and also Scottish Clare (from TacklingBPD) although her site has not been working recently.
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2015, 10:36:13 PM »

Hi everybody from bpdfamily, I have been lurking around this message board a few times now.I am a 19 year old male living in Denmark.Yesterday I called Shari Schreiber asking her if she had any advice about dealing with borderline personality disorder.She said that I should blame my mother. She told me that she was the one that had * me up (this is in her own words).  I told her that i didn't like the word blame - I told her that i think forgiveness is important. She said that i was full of *. Anyway she continued with a few other derogatory comments. She asked me if i was still living with my mother and i said yes (though i am moving next year) - She said I have a big ego and then I asked her how she knew that because we had only talked for 5 minutes and she was the one talking most of the time. She said because she had worked with people like me but then i told her she doesn't know me - I asked her how she knew how i thought because she was implying allot of things as if i thought of my mother as a saint, which I absolutely did not, but she kept brushing the fact that it was all her fault.I want to live in peace and harmony. I blame my mother, but I forgive her. I have not forgotten but I do forgive her. Why? Simply because I want to live in peace. Blame causes anger, and behind anger there is fear.Anyway she then said to me "You called me for answers so you better accept them"

Schreiber is not a therapist. Avoid her and "a Shrink for Men by Tara Palmatier.

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
Maternus

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »

This makes me wonder if Shari Shreiber is the female counterpart of Sam Vaknin. A self aware narcissistic bully who uses his/her knowledge to seduce victims for more abuse.  
Parnikal
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2015, 02:14:49 AM »

I very recently spoke with Shari Schreiber on the phone. I called her because the information on her web site seems to be so dead-on about dealing with someone in a romantic relationship who exhibits BPD traits. Her articles have helped me during times of crisis in my relationship with my (possible) BPD.

My enthusiasm about her was quickly sad-tromboned. I agree with nearly everything that the people here who have had personal contact with her have said. Within just a couple of minutes of beginning our conversation, she had insulted me. After asking me for a very brief background on my situation, she asked me how old I was. I am in my mid-40's. She then told me she was shocked. She told me that emotionally, I seemed more like I was in my 20's, maybe my 30's, but certainly not my 40's. I'm not going to pretend to be a paragon of emotional maturity, but I've also done years and years of work on my issues: counseling, support groups, CODA, seminars, books, workshops, you name it. I feel like I have made quite a bit of progress though I still have miles and miles to go. Regardless, it was unprofessional and emotionally tone-deaf for her to throw something like that out after "knowing" me for all of two or three minutes. First major red flag.

She then told me it was all my mother's fault that I am the way I am. That's something I agree with to a certain extent and have explored in previous counseling but she beat on the subject like it had never occurred to me before. Next, she explained that I didn't have any empathy. She defined empathy. I told her that I certainly have a host of issues but empathy is one of the things I've always felt like I could do pretty well: put myself in another person's shoes. She told me I didn't know who I was and that I had no empathy. Second major red flag. Had she said this after counseling me for a couple of sessions, maybe there would have been some validity to it, but two or three minutes?

Then, she told me that she would need to work with me once a week for at least several months. I told her that might be a good plan, but it would depend on price. I asked her what her price was. She made a comment about only wanting people who were committed to getting better. Then, she said her price was $225/hr. I told her that was a lot of money. ":)amn right," she replied. She asked what I did for a living. I told her. My job pays pretty well and is known for paying pretty well. But then she told me that I might have to take on a couple of part-time jobs to pay for her services. This, to me, was the third major red flag. She knew nothing about my personal situation at that point in terms of whether or not it would be a healthy and functional thing for me to take on a couple of part-time jobs in addition to my full-time job to pay for her. What if I had kids (I do)? What if I was under a tremendous amount of stress (I kind of am)? It also seemed like a bit of a manipulation in that it seems she might be attempting to lure the male ego into needing to prove that it's good enough. Y'know, that "Of course, I have the money" / "Keeping up with Joneses" kind of dynamic that men are apt to fall prey to?

She then went on and on. She talked about how booked with clients she is. She talked about how she didn't know if she could work with me. More red flags (high-pressure sales job). I felt like I was being pressured into buying time-share counseling. She told me to re-read her article about Do You Want to be Needed or Need to be Wanted. She said that I needed to reread that article and then call her back in a few weeks after I figured out who I was. I told her, look, I've been doing years of work and I don't think reading your article a few times is going to magically open my eyes as to my true identity. I told her if I decided to work with her I'd call her back in a few days. She then literally screamed at me that I needed to wait at least three weeks because what I didn't get was that her practice was full and she couldn't take me on until then if she took me on at all. Then, she hung up on me. Fourth major red flag along with probably eight or nine other less-major red flags during the course of our 30-minute conversation. She also told me that she had a full line-up of calls to make and that this was wasting her time. Then why'd you let the call go on that long with all of your digressions?

After our conversation, I was kind of in shock. The unhealthy part of me that was bullied as a kid and that has gotten me into relationships with BPD's wanted to run after her and try to get her approval. Then, the healthy part of me said, "NO THAT'S BS" to the unhealthy part of me. One of the ways I've grown over the years is to learn to trust my instinct. When something seems wrong, 99 times out of 100, it is wrong. Sorry folks, Shari Schreiber is a bully and possibly mentally ill herself. Again, my expectation of her, based on the articles on her web site, was 180 out from what I experienced on the phone with her. After my experience talking to her, I would never recommend that anyone engage in counseling with her. I see that ending in disaster.

BTW, I've also done several Skype sessions with Dr Palmatier. She is good. However, there is nothing magical about her advice. But it is good advice and I believe she does really care. She did, however, become very repetitive after about the fourth session. She is also pretty busy and clicked away on the computer while she talked to me: like she was editing blog articles or something. That's not really cool or professional. She is, however, empathetic and levels and levels above Shari Schreiber. She's does not come off as mentally ill or angry or anything like that. She is easy to talk to. My main beef with her was that she would be distracted by whatever was going on on her computer more than I liked while we were talking. She did help me though and she is cheaper than Shari Schreiber. No high pressure sales jobs from her at all.
Blimblam

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »

thanks for sharing your experience Parnikal... .

I whole heartedly advice to stay away from sheri schrieber and Tara Palmatier.  BPD is well known among qualified professionals it is not groundbreaking news to them like it is to us. I have been out of my relationship with a pwBPD for about a year and a half.  I have done my homework and learned about the disorder and examined myself read clinical texts etc. I have seen most of the same advertised BPD stuff on the net, life coaches and what not and I do not think they are any more qualified than me to offer the services they offer, in fact I see major issues with pretty much all of them that at this point in my healing journey and it is clear they are not even at a beginner level in continental psychoanalytic theory or they would be aware of the ethical boundaries they are crossing.
findingmyselfagain

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »

I would agree 100% that she is harsh, but it was what I needed to wake up and smell the coffee. I was reeling a few months after my b/u with no idea there was anything like BPD. So many of her articles hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't have hired her as a therapist either. I don't approve of high pressure tactics at all. For what it was worth, her articles did help me to recognize the unhealthy qualities of my former r/s. I saw a lot in the article on the Waif especially in my case. I have my compassion for my exunBPD but I have no desire to re-engage. It's important to me to feel compassionate for those who struggle with BPD and not to be too harsh. At one time I was very angry and bitter, and I don't have any desire to be near my ex or to interact with her... .just because I know it won't be a healthy, grounded in mutual reality, kind of experience.

Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »

For those who know of a certain Shari Schreiber... .she makes some interesting points, but I wonder if her she isn't that far off from being BPD/NPD herself. Yeah... .we spoke... .what venom! What a sales pitch she makes for her "services". No thanks.  I will do this with my own compassion and not high pressure sales and vitriol.  LOL

I don't know where I heard this, but I THINK her mom has/had BPD. This damages anyone's psyche. Also, since kids don't choose their mother (unlike partners) it seems like (and is if the person is not seeking treatment) very bad luck and unfair and people can get angry at the world (part of grief) or may go a different way. Mostly I have seen people afraid.

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
Tangy

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand her article about males with BPD saved my brain from going crazy, because legitimately I could not figure out what would cause the erratic behavior in my former fiancé.

On the flip side, as a therapist in training myself I feel like she's a very derogatory with the way she talks. I love my former fiancé and while her article helped me see what was going on with him I didn't like the picturing his face with the vilifying nature in which she talks.

I also found her comments about copyright infringement very unprofessional. I think there are better ways to say things. I don't want to be paranoid with all the reading I've been doing but sometimes she comes across as a little haughty and grandiose... .
Apricot6

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »

I found the site Shari Schreiber.com - she talks a lot about BPDs and those enmeshed/attracted to them. A lot of it spoke to me in a profound way. However I am a sensible woman (well, kinda) and it just doesn't seem sensible to pay a stranger a lot of money with a credit card for a phone call. She describes her methods as unconventional but doesn't say what they actually are... .I'm just interested to know if anyone on the site has used her services and would recommend or otherwise,

Thanks

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »

I found the site Shari Schreiber.com - she talks a lot about BPDs and those enmeshed/attracted to them. A lot of it spoke to me in a profound way. However I am a sensible woman (well, kinda) and it just doesn't seem sensible to pay a stranger a lot of money with a credit card for a phone call. She describes her methods as unconventional but doesn't say what they actually are... .I'm just interested to know if anyone on the site has used her services and would recommend or otherwise,

Thanks

Check Reply#53 above in this thread.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions